February 2014 bar exam anyone?

posted 3 years ago in College
Post # 3
274 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

YIKES.  I’m not taking the bar until July, but I have several friends taking it in Feb.  I can’t imagine trying to work full time and study.  Would it be feasible to push back your test date and try an online bar prep course?  Could you be a law clerk (or do something else that doesn’t require bar passage) when you move to Kentucky, maybe part-time to give you a chance to study?

If none of those are possibilities, I’d just do as many practice tests as I could find before test day!

Post # 4
1312 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

@peanut88:  Not taking the bar exam this month but I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I had to take the NJ bar while working full-time and it does take sacrifice.

– Try to regularly squeeze in 1 hr of studying after work.

– Give up your weekends and do all day bar study for both Sat. and Sun.

– Don’t bother with writing out the practice essays, just spot all the issue and bullet point them.

– Go over the questions that you get wrong on the practice MBE, I found it helped a lot to commit that tidbit of law to memory so I get it right the next time.

– Practice, practice, practice versus re-studying outlines.

I also agree with @CandieC88: that given your situation as a new graduate, you may be able to find a job that doesn’t require being barred right away. But I think you said you do public interest work, which wouldn’t have that kind of leeway compared to a private law firm. Good luck!

Post # 6
1981 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@peanut88: Attorney bee love! I took the Ca Bar exam in July and passed, but have a lot of friends taking it again in February. I’m actually clerking for a judge right now too, but have recently started applying for associate positions after my term is over.  Just wanted to send some encouragement your way!! You have done this before, and you are completely capable of doing it again!! And you don’t even have to take the whole thing again bc you don’t have to take the  MBE (YAY) so you only have to focus on writing!! And I’m sure you are an awesome writer bc you went to law school and already passed the bar before. I think you should definitely do what worked for you in the past- memorizing the black letter law! I like flash cards- companies sell some for CA subjects pre-made so that saved me some time. And this may sound insane but when I am testing my memorization I like saying the answers out loud so I know I got it right, then I can’t lie to myself and say, I totally knew that. I also had a one page outline w/ black letter law for each subject with lots of pictures and color coding. I’m pretty sure NY is supposed to be harder than Kentucky- you got this!! 

Post # 8
1981 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@peanut88:  Thanks! I am more familiar with federal court bc that’s where I am clerking so I would like to focus on federal practice areas- maybe employment, some education law? But I’m flexible and hoping for civil litigation bc the market is really saturated right now in San Diego! There aren’t many people hiring full time associates- they want contract attorneys to pay them less.

As for the bar, I wasn’t confident at the end at all- I actually had nightmares about 1 essay question for months after the test. It was the last essay and an intentional torts remedies cross over- except I wasn’t careful and expected remedies and thought it was just a remedies question, so I had like 3 sentences about intentional torts and 90% of my essay only talked about remedies. After the exam, everyone was talking about the easyand obvious torts question and many barely talked about remedies- I was terrified. Our pass rate is usually 50-ish%, so I felt like it could go either way! But it all worked out and I passed. I think the important thing is that you aren’t trying to ace the bar, just PASS- you basically want to get a D! See, that doesn’t seem so bad! So don’t stress out if you don’t know EVERY definition cold- you KNOW the concepts (that’s the hardest part) and can think like a lawyer and make up a definition that’s close- it doesn’t have to be perfect! Just analyze the facts based on the rule you make up. Maybe do some practice essays, in your worst topics, or even just outlining, and start getting used to winging it so you don’t flounder test day. Make yourself uncomfortable now and learn to cope with it instead of freaking out test day. And try to finish every essay, you can’t get points for topics you don’t get to!

And if you get into gear now, you will rock your bar this month! The last month I scrapped the Barbri schedule, printed out a one month calendar, and made my own- trying to go over every subject at least twice. Take it a day at a time- don’t worry about 28 subjects- worry about 2-3 each day- it will seem less daunting. I also put this affirmation I pieced together from quotes I found on my fridge: Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet. I will pass the bar exam. I will not fail. I’ve studied hard, I’m smart, and I deserve to pass. There is no way in hell I am ever doing this shit again because I won’t need to – this is the first and last time I will ever do this because I am passing no matter what. I am brilliant! 🙂

Best of luck and hang in there!! Stay positive- you can do it!  

Post # 9
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@peanut88: Best of luck! I’m in kind of a similar sitch…passed PA in 2012 but moved to CA to live with FI, so I’ll begrudgingly take the Feb. exam next week for all THREE days (curses to you CA for your lack of reciprocity and narrow MBE waiver!).  

Post # 10
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@peanut88:  I took the KY bar July 12 and the IN bar last February. The second one is always less stressful. Also, as someone told me before I took the KY bar, as long as you write something halfway intelligible for the essays you will pass those. The only people I know that failed failed the MBE, and you already got that down pat! 

Also, I was in a similar situation with not having any time off work for the Feb. bar. I didn’t really even start studying with any regularity until the 3rd week of January or so. What I found was that I was less confident about my multiple choice answers while I was doing the problems but I was doing just about as well as I did before the first bar exam. I just became a better guesser. Point being, even if you feel like you forgot everything, it’s in there somewhere!

ETA – I just realized you said you don’t have to take the MBE again so disregard that part. I guess I’m better at multiple choice questions than reading a thread thoroughly. 

Post # 12
3170 posts
Sugar bee

@peanut88:  Seriously, about half of what I wrote down on the secured transaction essay was what I had asked my friend about during the lunch break. I had no idea how to figure out who got paid before whom until then. And it was limited to a few sentences. Also I’m pretty sure I threw out every criminal lawish sounding phrase when I was trying to remember the definition for voluntary manslaughter. You’ll be fine!

Post # 14
3170 posts
Sugar bee

@peanut88:  I’m sure you did fine! And most importantly . . . it’s over! Now you just have to focus on not losing that stupid seat number for the next two and a half months. 

Post # 15
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - White Horse Inn

Graduated law school May 2013 but didnt want to take the July Bar because of …. well reasons. So my FI proposed in July right before the bar would have been! Started planning in Oct.

When Jan came around we still had so much to do so I didnt start studying til around Jan 20th after we booked our vendors. My FI’s mom hired a wedding planner so I could focus on the bar so that helped A LOT, but then again, I still have no clue if I passed. Even with a planner thinking about the wedding was just so tempting. I couldnt focus 100% on studying but I did my best, up until about two weeks before the bar when I realized how fast the wedding was approaching.

To make life worse I was a “victim” of the examsoft glitch and could hardly type because of the software for 1/4 of the written portion!! When I told my FI he said dont worry, just keep trying your best – we are getting married whether or not you pass this time!

I am not excited to get the CA Bar Exam results on May 16th – only 3 weeks before the wedding and to make it worse its the friday night my vegas bachelorette party begins! Its awful timing! If I pass I could get too drunk celebrating, If I fail I could get too drunk to forget – such a lose lose situation. I need my girls to try to NOT let me find out! 

Anyone else dealing with bar results being released so close to their wedding? If I fail I dont want everyone asking how I did at the wedding :(

leftcoastleisure:  I hope you get great news next month!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors