(Closed) Feeding 200 people for super cheap…

posted 5 years ago in Food
Post # 3
2254 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

First figure out how much of your overall budget is going to food/drinks. Your budget is going to dictate what your options are. If you search past threads, lots of brides have cut food costs by doing a luncheon or cake and punch style receptions.

Post # 4
4372 posts
Honey bee

Maybe a potluck?

Post # 5
4046 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

If you budget $2k on food, that’s $10 per person. Perhaps salad, sandwiches, baked pastas plus sheet cake, punch and water?. Maybe look for a catering company that does unches rather than wedding catering.

Post # 6
1146 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I’ve seen brides doing pulled pork sandwiches and BBQ food. I can imagine it wouldn’t be that expensive if it was served buffet style. And I love pulled pork! I’d be a happy camper 🙂

Post # 7
6 posts
Newbee

My fiance and I are doing taco truck. Super delicious food, all you can eat, and only about $750 for 150 people. 

Post # 8
4429 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@kerensa:  thats called a football wedding my grandmother had one it was very nice but it was all sandwiches and side dishes. you could also have a lunchen instead of a dinner

Post # 9
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

I can only think of two ways to feed guests…

1. Spend a lot of money getting someone else to do it.

2. Do a lot yourself.

I think we will probably have a comparatively small guest list for the main meal, which I will pay someone else to serve. I will also have a buffet later for all the guests, which I will make the day beforehand. Myself. Before I expire of stress. If you make your own buffet, you can indeed feed 200 people and keep it under budget. But you will have to make it yourself… are you up for the challenge?

Post # 10
2449 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Look at out of the box options! We are having our favorite bar/grill cater our backyard wedding! They are famous for specialty Mac and cheese so we are highlighting that! With light apps, salads and a huge macaroni bar we are totally on budget at $10/pp and it’s fun, creative and so “us!”

Even better, they can do the service, cleanup and bartending at an awesome rate! This also lets use use our own booze. We have friends who are excellent homebrewers who will be making the kegs!

Post # 11
2778 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Buffet especially BBQ, I saw one place in MA that did a pig roast for 1000 dollars.  A whole pig would def feed that many people.  

Post # 12
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Trying to DIY a full meal for 200 people would be really hard, and you’d need lots of help with cooking, storage, transportation, serving, and cleanup.  You don’t need that stress on your wedding day.  Find a venue that lets you bring in outside food, and start calling local restaurants (not necessarily wedding caterers) and asking what they can put together for you for ~$10 per person.  A BBQ place could probably do pulled pork or chicken, cole slaw, mac & cheese, etc.  An Italian place could do pans of lasagna, green salad, and garlic bread.  A Mexican place could set up a build-your-own taco bar… I think you will have lots of options that fit your budget if you stay away from traditional wedding caterers that love to mark things up astronomically. 

Post # 13
6472 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Generally the most common option is BBQ. Here locally we have several BBQ places that cater and average about $12/pp. I definitely wouldn’t consider that to be a meal for a formal wedding, but totally fine for something more casual.

Another alternative is to have a morning wedding with a brunch reception. Breakfast foods are traditionally much cheaper and would easily accommodate your budget.

Post # 14
9143 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Contact your local BBQ and/or Italian restaurants and ask about purchasing meat by pound and trays of food.  They generally run less than $12 per person and many times you can make it stretch to cover more people (i.e. for some dishes ordering for 40 can feed 50.)  I ordered a tray of chicken marsala from an Italian restaurant for $20 for a ladies dinner I hostessed at.  It was supposed to feed 10 but it ended up feeding 30 because of the other side dishes I offered.  I had ordered two trays so we ate chicken marsala from the untouched second tray for days afterwards.

Post # 15
6745 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

Some bees on here have been considering pizza.  You can do pizza, pasta, salad, etc. 

Does the $5k also include your cake?

Post # 16
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We are having as many people, but we are having a local gourmet sandwich shop cater the sandwiches (and condiments), and then we are getting individual chip bags, and I’m making salad, pasta salad, and fruit salad.  Will definitely be less than $10pp, probably more like $5, but we are also having a casual park reception.

The topic ‘Feeding 200 people for super cheap…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors