Post # 1
Does anyone or any vets out there that have experience with a cat having a closed, femur fracture. As I was seeing patients for work, I came across a male cat that was limping and in pain. I couldn’t just leave him there! I took the kitty to the vet right away. They took x-rays and gave pain medication. All this happened this past Friday.
My question is…is okay to wait until Saturday for the surgery? The vet needs to order the equipment which won’t come in until later in the week and the earliest they can perform the surgery is on Saturday.
I’m really concerned about the wait! I’m concerned about possible complications arising during the wait or further damage.
Post # 3
Are you keeping the kitty safe at home with you? There’s no problem with waiting until Saturday as long as he has close access to food, water, litter box, and pain meds, and he doesn’t have to walk or jump a ton. You’re a WONDERFUL person for rescuing him and taking him to the vet for care.
I’m a nurse practitioner–I take care of people, not kitties, but the same principles apply. He should be good until Saturday.
Post # 4
I’m not sure. If you trust the vet, and the vet thinks waiting is fine, just wait? You can always call around for a second opinion. I had a cat who needed bladder surgery, and he waited almost a week for surgery. I hated the thought of him being uncomfortable, so the vet gave me pain meds to administer. Unfortunately, all OTC painkillers are toxic to cats, so vets have to prescribe opiates–something I’ve found they don’t like to do. But maybe a small dose of Benadryl to keep the cat calm?
Good luck! I used to volunteer for a rescue and fostered many ill/injured animals. It’s not easy to see them suffering.
Post # 5
My 11 1/2 year old (at the time) decided to jump from the second floor to the first and landed on her shoulder on the stairs. Her shoulder was shattered. She wound up needing an amputation. She did incredibly well with the surgery and recovery.
if the vet is comfortable waiting, it should be fine. As long as the kitty is confined somewhere safe and eating/drinking, they should be good to go for saturday. Cats are incredibly resilient.
Post # 6
Thank you all for your responses! He is being kept safe and confined to a dog crate with access to food, water and his litter box. I’ve been giving him around the clock pain medication. He seems content for now.
I did call the vet in the morning to voice my concerns and she made an appointment for me to come in with him at 4:30. He’s going to get additional x-ray’s today with the possibility of surgery tomorrow if he only needs pins and wire. If he requires plates then the surgery will wait until Saturday once the equipment comes in.
I just worry about further complications, soft tissue damage, blood clots, contractures….this anxiety is all due to working in the medical field and being an RN. Sometimes I wish I could just shut my brain off 🙂
Post # 7
I wouldn’t be too concerned with the wait. Years ago, my cat put himself in harm’s way and the ball part of the ball and socket for his hip joint snapped clean off. Vet actually advised against surgery and said it would heal itself. He lived to 21 (injury happened when he was about 7) and he never limped. Just offering a success story to hopefully ease your mind.
And awesome on you for taking care of the kitty!