Post # 1
So my fiance proposed about a year ago with a beautiful ring that we actually both picked out together. At the time, he had only had a “real” job for about a year and could only afford to put about 2,000 towards the ring. We went over budget a little bit, but in the end I ended up with beautiful setting and a .5 carat diamond engagement ring. I love my ring and I absolutely love everything it stands for…but I will be honest, I was and still am self-consious about the size. I tried to keep my feelings from my FI, but he picked up on them.
But, plot twist, my FI got a new job with a signifigant pay increase! He saw me looking at rings on the bee and said “If you can figure out a way to get a trade-in price on your diamond, I think we can definitely get you a bigger diamond.” I am pretty much dumb-founded, but excited at the same time!
So, long story short, I am getting a new diamond within the next few weeks! My main concern is whether or not I will be able to keep my setting. I looove my setting so I hope they will be able to keep the setting and upgrade the size of the diamond. I am hoping for a diamond in the .75 carat range. I think that would be a more flattering size on my finger.
So my question is, do you think I will be able to keep my setting if I am only going from a .5 to a .75? Is that even possible?
And please feel free to post pics of your upgrades!!
Post # 3
Awesome, congratulations! Can you post a photo or two of your original setting? It’s hard to determine whether or not a jeweler should be able to just “switch out the head” to accomodate a larger center stone without seeing the setting first! Also you might want to consider going a bit larger than a .75 since you’re worried about the size since it’s not that significant of an increase and shrinkage will set in and you might find yourself wishing for an even bigger upgrade! Try looking into stones closer to a full carat (try just below, they’re way cheaper!) that way you’ll really notice the “upgrade” size!
My upgrade is still being made otherwise I’d post photos! :-)!!!
Post # 4
I was in a similar situation. The ring I picked out was perfect but then I decided I wanted bigger and to go up a color grade. When we got the original ring I was told it would accommodate a bigger stone, ends up that was not tbe case and I had to pick out a whole new setting. I went from .5 to .75 and I do see a big difference but the ring shrinkage thing is a real phenomenon!
Post # 5
The first one was the old the second the new.
Post # 6
@rosie.jonesy.9: i will be upgrading within the next 6 months, the current head of my ER will not accomodate the larger stone; however, the jeweler will be sending it back to the manufacturer to have my ring melted down and re-casted to accomodate the larger stone
Post # 7
It just depends on the setting. Sometimes when you look at settings it will say “will accomadate a .50 ct to a 2 ct. The only way to know for sure is to ask your jeweler.
Post # 8
Lucky girl!! I think it’s awesome for you two!!! I hope your new stone can fit into your current setting. Please post pic! 😉
Post # 9
That’s great! Cant to see what you cook up!:)
Post # 11
you might be able to keep your setting. It depends on the style. If your ring has a peg head, it should be easy. If it’s a halo probably no, and if the head’s integrated into the setting, maybe. You’ll have to ask your jeweler.