Post # 1
SO FI’s e-ring is made of tungsten. Well, it’s rubbed a raw spot on his finger that looks much like what he gets when nickel touches him. I thought tungsten was nickel-free? Or, at least, the ring I bought him said it was nickel-free. Could he be allergic to tungsten?
I had hoped that the raw spot was from the ring being a size too large and rubbing all day (he delivers/moves furniture), but he now has the right size and the spot hasn’t healed. He wears a bandaid on it and occasionally puts neosporin when he isn’t at work.
Is there even such a thing as a tungsten allergy, or could it possible have nickel in it (that he IS allergic to)?
Post # 3
Did you all buy the ring from a website or from a jewelry store? The ring that Fiance has picked out is tungsten and nickel-free and I too thought that all tungsten was free of any nickel.
Post # 4
If he has a wound from the ring rubbing it might be best to let it heal before wearing the new one?
Post # 5
Even if there is no nickel, there is a possibility that he’s allergic to tungsten.
Post # 6
@Anardana: He is letting it heal; he doesn’t wear the one that actually fits right now. But it’s been 3 weeks and it’s STILL not healed yet.
Maybe it’s just a tungsten allergy…I’ve just never heard of that happening before! LOL
Post # 7
Fiance had the same thing happen. At first he thought it was because he’d never worn jewelry, or maybe it was from not drying his hands enough when he washes them, then he finally went to the doctor and they said it looked like a nickel allergy. Well, now I’m worried about buying him a new ring because how do we know if it’s nickel free? We thought the tungsten was.
Post # 8
Oh I just read something about this yesterday. Some Tungsten rings apparently have a tiny bit of nickel in them. Not mich, but a very small percentage apparently. They use nickel as a binding agent or something.
id I were you, I’d take a look at Titanium rings. I believe they are much more hypoallergenic than Tungsten rings
Post # 9
This same thing happened to my brother. He had to get titanium
Post # 10
I actually have a tungsten band that I wore when I went caving/potholing for the week and I had an allergic reaction too. I’m allergic to nickel and yes I found out the hard way that some tungsten bands are an alloy.
Post # 11
- Wedding: October 2013 - Rustic mill, historical site
My fh has a nickel allergy too, I bought him a cheap tungsten tester ring off ebay (although it looks REALLY nice, not cheap at all!), it listed the % of alloys in there. I think I paid 20 bucks for it with free shipping, lol!
Anyway, he’s been wearing it for 5 days now with no issues, yay! But it kind of bugs me that we’re going to go spend several hundred dollars on the same bloody thing from the jewellery store :/
Has he seen a doctor about the wound not healing? Now that he’s not wearing the ring, it should heal over…