(Closed) FI might be allergic to nickel-alloy white gold :( :( :(

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
11395 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

It could just be that he was sweating under the ring & got a rash. I would have him take it off for 2-3 days. Then put it back on & see what happens.

Post # 4
451 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

 Try what Mrs.Estep suggested. My Fiance is allerfic to nickel and can’t wear gold/white gold at all. When we first got promise rings, his allergy wasn’t acting up that bad and he chose to go with a white gold band (silly boy) and he broke out in like a week or two.

I hope he’s not allergic to it! Especially since you’re both attached to the ring 🙁


Post # 5
427 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m so sorry to hear this, I have a metal allergy as well.  I was pretty heartbroken when about a week after I got my ring (14K white gold) I started to get a rash around my finger. Most sapphire rings come in 10K and I knew that I might not be able to handle it because of my allergy, so we had my engagement ring custom made with 14K, so I figured I should be ok. When I got a rash the first time, I ended up taking my ring off for a day or two until the rash went away and then put my ring back on. I noticed that the rash came back, so I repeated the process, eventually I stopped having a reaction to it.  I do notice that during the summer and when my hands are sweaty my finger itches a little but thats about it.  Luckily I get free rhodium dips (which I get every 6 months) for my ring, which I believe helps a lot with the allergy problem.  Perhaps you can get it redipped and see what happens.  Good luck!

Post # 6
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I have a nickel allrgy, too. I can’t wear white gold with nickel in it at all – even with plating. It rubs off in certain spots very easily, and is very thin!

Also, some white golds are whiter than others without rhodium, so the fact that it’s white doesn’t mean the plating is still there. or especially that it is perfectly coating the gold.

Post # 8
5291 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2010

I can’t wear nickel white gold either, even if rhodium plated as it does wear too easily. I would be plating constantly!

It does sound like, based on where the irritation is, there may be something irritating him under the bezel area rather than the nickel in the gold. Some rings trap moisture and such really well, and it is easy to get bacteria or other irritants causing rashes and so on.

I would, as you are doing, remove the ring until the rash clears, and ensure to disinfect the ring thoroughly and dry it out well before trying again.

If he still gets irritated, you may want to look at remaking the ring in palladium-white gold or palladium/platinum if he is set on a white metal.

Post # 9
2031 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I hope it’s just from the soap!  I don’t have a nickel allergy but I do have very sensitive skin when it comes to washing my hands (which I do a zillion times a day) and harsh soaps are the worst!!  I carry a little bottle of my own soap (actually, it’s Johnson’s bedtime baby wash, LOL) with me everywhere I go, even work, and it helped my hands be less icky and irritated.  Maybe your Fiance can try doing that?  

Post # 10
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2015

I have a nickle allergy, That sounds just like mine. I wear 14k WG for my ring and there are days I can not wear it. I dont know how it would affect the metal but I just put some clear nail polish on the inside of my ring and have no issues. i can always tell when its wearing off cause it gets super itchy and red then I have to leave it off for a few days and let it heal!

Post # 12
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s true that some white golds are whiter then others.  My grandmother had her ring nearly 60 years and never once needed it rhodium plated, it was always very white.

Usually the rash is caused by moisture under the ring.  If possible he should remove his ring before washing his hands and make sure they are thoroughly dried before putting his ring back on.  He may also want to have his ring sized up a quarter size so it gives a little more room to breathe.

I have also heard of applying a thin coat of clear nail polish to act as a buffer between the gold and your skin.

Post # 13
365 posts
Helper bee

I bet it’s the moisture, because I’ve had the same rash.  I stopped wearing the ring and it cleared up (it did take a few weeks).  I haven’t had the same issue since.  Someone else suggested boiling the ring in vinegar/water, it was another thread from the last week or two.  It helps kill the fungus/germs hiding in the crevices of the ring.  I vaguely remember boiling my ring somehow when I had my rash.

The topic ‘FI might be allergic to nickel-alloy white gold :( :( :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors