- Miss Staticgirl_77
- 9 years ago
- Wedding: September 2009
Hello All 🙂 My MOH and I finished the moss covered letters this weekend, and I want to share the results with you all. I know alot of people who go this route go for smaller letters, but my venue has huge doors, and using 10 inch letters would not have worked. So I made 24 inch (that’s right: 2 feet!!) letters that ended up being 1 1/2 inches thick.
1) I picked a good stong font that I thought would look good blown up to 2 feet, did it in photoshop, and then took the PDF file to kinkos and had them print it (super cheap!) on a blueprint printer. Then I cut the letters out carefully and put them aside.
2) I bought a sheet of blue styrofoam insulation from Lowes, and got the 3/4 inch thickness. Since I want to use these letters for later, I opted to cut the board down to the size I needed two times, them used spray adhesive the glue the boads together…VIOLA! I got 1 1/2 thickness…
3) I took the cutout of my letters and push pinned them to they styroboard. I spraypainted around them, and the result was a stencil of the J and the T to cut out. ***I know alot of you use a serrated blade to do this, but I was DEFINATELY worth my money to buy a hot knife that cuts styoboard. With a michaels or AC moore coupon, it was like 12 bucks!*** I cut my letters out with a gentle sawing motion with my hot knife..This step took a while, but I am sure would have taked longer with a regular knife.
4) I spray painted the cut out letters with a green paint so that if there was any background peeking through, it would be green instead of blue.
5) I ended up using a natural moss (3 bags) cut with a green spanish moss (2 bags)… We dumped (little at a time) some of each moss in a bucket to mix it up. Using a high temperature heat gun, we would dab a little glue down, then put a little clump of the mixed moss down. We did 3 sides, and I think they look GREAT!
It took a bit of work and some time, but the end result is more than worth it. The ONLY moss covered letters I was able to find this big were over 150.00 PER LETTER. I think I spent (besides my valuable time) maybe 30 dollars on everything…
My only question now is: should I hang them with a clear thread so they look like they are floating, or a wide black satin ribbon?