- 4 years ago
- Wedding: March 2015
I’ve been living in the Washington DC area for almost my entire life and all my family is here so it makes most sense for my FI to get married here. Plus I love this city! I’ve never been the type to dream about my wedding day and now that the time has come to search for a place I am getting so frustrated!!
We are probably going to have 100-125 people and have a generous budget from my parents. I’d like a place that’s not too rustic (a farm) or too formal (ie fancy hotel like the Mayflower). A historic place is fine, but something modern and unique would be ideal. However, I keep running into the same problems while searching for a place:
– too big (ie huge hotel ballrooms like the Omni Shoreham/Park Hyatt)
– historic places that are too small (under 90 people like Anderson House, Dumbarton House)
– historic manors/outdoor venues that would require tenting and thus spending $1000s on a tent (ie Decatur House, River Farm). Plus I’m paranoid about rain
– too far outside DC (I’d like something within the beltway)
– venue is boring or tacky or has weird layout
– too expensive . I was quoted $7100 to have an evening ceremony on the terrace at the Newseum and $11,000 to rent the room for the reception there (not including any food/beverages/service charges). Meridian House is $11,000 to rent as well. That is cray.
-date is already taken. Ps- if you want the Carnegie Institution in spring 2015 you are out of luck. All Saturdays except Easter and Memorial Day are booked.
– awesome places that rent for corporate event but not weddings (National Portrait Gallery, Library of Congress, Folger Shakespeare Library).
And- What is with all of these places that only give site tours during weekday business house? People have jobs and it’s not easy to take off work!