yay for choosing the mets over the yankees 🙂
there are of course a million things to do here, but here are some of my top suggestions to friends when they visit:
1. take a ride on the staten island ferry. it’s free and you get the best view of the statue of liberty.
2. rent a bike. there are bike rental shops all over the city. riding on the streets isn’t always a good idea for out of towners (drivers and other bikers are so aggressive), but there is a dedicated bike path all up and down the west of manhattan along the river with beautiful views and central park has a great loop too.
3. EAT! i could seriously go on for days about food here. but a few of our favorites in a variety of price ranges:
scarpetta (italian) – fairly expensive
the meatball shop (meatballs, obvs–may sound weird but this place is so great) – cheap
alta (tapas) – moderate
devi (indian) – moderate to somewhat expensive – their prix fixe is a great deal
any place in chinatown for dim sum – everyone has their favorite place but they are all pretty much the same. always a fun experience!
shake shack (burgers) – cheap
food trucks! don’t be afraid to buy food from a moving vehicle.
i could go one forever so if there’s a specific type of cuisine you’re looking for, let me know.
4. go to the met. if you only visit one museum in new york, that should be the one. museum of natural history is also great.
5. venture out to brooklyn. williamsburg is one stop from manhattan on the subway and has tons of cute shops and restaurants. coney island can be fun too and is easy to get to on the subway.
6. people watching in central park.
i would have said go to a baseball game and see a broadway show too, but clearly you’ve got that taken care of 🙂