Post # 1
I’ve been searching EVERYWHERE for flatware that says more to me than “meh…” or “bleh…”
I got a set of flatware when I got an apartment in college and I *LOVE* it. The spoons are so awesome looking and I have searched high and low for it since and haven’t been able to find it anywhere. I’ve literally spent hours scrolling through those replacement flatware websties to see i can just find a couple extra pieces from it to have. Nothing.
So FH and i have been working on our registry and we need to get some more flatware (we have that 1 4 setting set that i got in college and then a mishmash of my mom’s stuff she’s collected over the years). Like i said before, I haven’t found anything that’s even remotely exciting to me or that I have strong feelings about…until today…when I opened that email from MSW. i *adore* these http://www.dwr.com/product/tools-for-living/kitchen/flatware/almoco-flatware-black-matte-5-piece-setting.do?sortby=ourPicks they look so awesome and wonderful. However they’re $60 FOR 5 PIECES!! That’s basically a $12 fork, a $12 spoon, a $12 knife etc.
Two question for you girls,
1) Is $60 for a 5 piece set of flatware too much (we’d probably register for 5, that combined with our good 4 would give us 8 settings with a couple extras (i’m missing a couple pieces from moving literally 10 times in college)??
2) Do you guys have suggestions for any cheaper interesting/modernish/fun/not-completely-boring/contemporary flatware?
Post # 3
1. I have a similar priced set I was gifted from our registry. Honestly, biggest waste of money ever. Silverware gets misplaced- my husband will bring something to work to never be seen again. I’m seriously missing a third of the set.
2. Those are really beautiful, but no suggestions. I ended up going to crate and barrel and picking up a few sets of their regular flatware. Are they boring? Yes.. but I have really cool dishes 😀
Post # 4
1) bleh. so you don’t recommend it? 🙁
2) yea crate and barrell has some decently interesting looking stuff, but nothing quite as awesome as that.
Post # 5
1. I would go for it. I also have a similar priced set and can’t wait to get it (it’s stuck in France…I can’t believe I just said that). I think that it’s great that it’s from Portugal and the black is really cool. The only issue I can see would be replacing it or adding to the sets. Honestly, bad flatware ticks me off- if you’ve ever had a fork or spoon bend when you’re trying to take ice cream out of the container for example, it’s really annoying. I don’t think that $60 a place setting is too much if you’re going to have it for a long time and it’s made well.
2. I don’t have any suggestions for something similar…it’s really unique!
Post # 6
Try looking at George Jensen flatware before committing to DWR. Great flatware can last a really REALLY longtime, even just regular plate vs sterling silver. One recommendation – make sure it’s dishwasher safe -that is, if you have one.