For those spending 30-50,000k on weddings/honeymoon

posted 3 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Without giving a specific number, my parents are paying for my wedding. They have been anticipating this event and they do well financially. I really, really, despise the word “rich” but they live comfortably and wanted to throw me a nice wedding. They chose the budget and I am adhering to it. I would respect their contribution just as much even if it were significantly lower. 

Post # 4
1190 posts
Bumble bee

@1blingedoutbride:  We both have $60k jobs, and we are budgeting for it by cutting back on other things in our lives. We aren’t engaged yet, so we are saving for awhile 🙂 It is easy for me to earn extra cash, because my job offers overtime frequently if I want it.

Post # 5
9226 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2018

I am not sure how much my wedding will be yet, but based on the costs at different places I have looked at it will probably be close to that. My parents and FI’s parents will be paying for the majority of the wedding. It’s just where I am that is the average cost of things, ridiculous I know! I would love to be able to have a $10k or under wedding, but it isn’t going to happen realistically. The church alone will cost $1.5k for the ceremony.

Everything is so expensive here lol.

And we want to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon, airfares and accomodation aren’t cheap!

Post # 6
2449 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

My husband’s family contributed, my family contributed, and we put up the rest. We wanted a beautiful, once-in-lifetime celebration.

Post # 8
4890 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

For most people having a wedding in that price range, their yearly income is most likely proportionate to how much they are spending on their wedding. However, lost of factors can come into play – including who is paying. 

My parents gave us 25k to spend as we wished. We could have easily planned the whole thing on that but we opted to have exactly what we wanted, and pay for the remainder out of pocket ourselfs. We ended up doubling it, at least, although an exact number is not totally sure because I’ve never added it all up. As for how we paid for it ourselves, we spent what we felt comfortable spending. We certainly aren’t rich. Combined we make six figures, but we still have bills like everyone else (car payment, student loans, mortgage, etc).

Post # 9
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

FI and I are paying for the whole thing ourselves, something in the $35,000 range (not counting honeymoon). We are both older and established in our careers and both had small weddings the first time around. We are doing it up big, primarily for us and our 4 children between us. 

Post # 10
1193 posts
Bumble bee

@1blingedoutbride:  I wanted to stay around 20k, but per usual, the budget has ballooned to 32k, not including honeymoon. Our parents contributed about 2/5 and we are paying the other 3/5. We also are taking our honeymoon 6 months after the wedding, so that gives us some time to save up for that too.

We talked about potentially having an extremely small elopement-style wedding and saving all the money our parents would be giving us (as well as what we put out!), but in the end, we decided its a celebration that not only joins us in marriage, but really is bringing 2 families together. We wanted everyone to help celebrate our special day and now we are paying the price, haha. I also am getting married in an expensive metropolitan area, so 30k is probably a little below average still.

We are not rich, but we do well for ourselves (both went to professional school).

Post # 11
3433 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

Well, I’m not in that category, but it’s definitely not rich people who spend so much.  My sister and her husband spend about $70k on their wedding of ~280 people.  They spent everything they had in savings and all their extra money for the year they were planning, then they borrowed about $20k to finish paying for things.  It’s not the choice that I would have made, but it worked for them.

Post # 12
1057 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

We are not rich but both have a stable and comfortable  job. I make 58K and FI make 60K plus bonus…  We are estimating 30+K on wedding, and haven’t budget for honeymoon yet.  our combined income only consider average income in our city, so we have tu cut majorly on expenses to save up for our wedding.  Living and wedding expenses are high in our city, so 30+K is a realistic cost in our area.  

Post # 13
3433 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

@Jacqui90:  For your honeymoon, look into applying for an Alaska Airlines credit card.  You get a $99 companion fare each year so that can save on airfare.  Also, we rented a condo instead of going with a hotel/resort.  We had more space & privacy, plus a kitchen to cook breakfast in which saved us a fair amount (although we still went out for about 70% of our meals, even saving that 30% was huge) and we spent less on the condo than any diecent hotel I could find. Plus, we were walking distance to the best snorkeling beach on the big island. 

Post # 14
8720 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@1blingedoutbride:  We spent a bit more than that. 

Combo of:

my parents contributing

our money

Post # 15
7929 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012 - Pelican Grand Beach Resort

@1blingedoutbride:  Our wedding was in that range and we are not rich at all, but a lot of family gave us money and we made it work. My parents are solidly in the middle class, but without much savings other than their retirement through their jobs. My husband’s parents have a similr income but have always lived frugally and have a lot of savings–that they don’t want to spend, but they did help a good bit.

My mom is the one who wanted an over-the-top reception and both our parents wanted to invite a good number of people, so the trade-off was that they had to help. My mom paid for the reception. My dad split the DJ with us and gave us $1000 for our honeymoon. My mom also paid for my dress. We picked up the flowers and photography and a lot of small things here and there that quickly added up. We also go a generous cash gift from DH’s parents that help offset some of our cash expenses. His parents covered the rehearsal dinner. We paid for our honeymoon with the gift money we got. We were prepared knowing that my father was giving us some money to be able to only pay for the travel, food, and hotels if we didn’t get more money, but we got enough to cover some nicer meals out, entrance fees to some museums, a day of snowboarding, etc. Most of what we did was free or low-cost. We also stayed stateside. There’s no way our total honeymoon expenses went over $2500, including the airfare and six nights in hotels and everything else.

Post # 16
1690 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

With the honeymoon, ours cost about $32,000. 

My parents gave me $8000, the rest we paid for ourselves. We took out a small loan ($5000) to cover the cost of the honeymoon, and it’s paid off already. It was worth it to us to take out the small loan so we could have the honeymoon of our dreams, and we knew we could easily and quickly pay it back. 

We also received about $10,000 in gifts from the wedding, but we weren’t counting on that – it was just a nice surprise.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors