Forget $1200 Flights, We'll Drive!

posted 2 years ago in Travel
Post # 2
8677 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

My parents drive 1,200 miles to come see me every couple months. 800 is nothing.

Post # 3
15011 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Up until a few years ago I would regularly do 800 on short notice for work and usually do it by myself straight through. Now, at over 40, I would still do it but only with other drivers. I’m the type to look up things to stop and see along the way, cool and unusual things that you would never see otherwise. The last road trip to a woman’s conference with some gals, we stopped at the birthplace of James Tyberious Kirk (sp?). We all are kinda closet nerds so it was a blast taking pictures there and we documented the whole trip with vine videos and pictures over Twitter.

Post # 4
613 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

My family drives over 1300km (which I think is around as far as your trip) every second summer to visit family. Vey do-able.

Post # 5
1878 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Valparaiso, IN

My husband and I and a few friends drove to the Florida Keys. From where we live, it was a 24 hour drive. It honestly was not bad at all. And there was a 6 month old with us! I love doing road trips, though. I love site seeing. 

Post # 7
470 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

nadnuk:  yep! we live 1500 Kms from the nearest capital city, and it’s nothing to drive up for a weekend 🙂 

Post # 8
3349 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Not a fan of the road trip. Anything more than 500 km (which is less in miles) I won’t do in a day.

I would rather fork out the $ for the flight, but I really, really, really hate being stuck in a car 🙂

Post # 9
1072 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I think it’s totally doable! Just make sure you take plenty of breaks and swap drivers every couple of hours so nobody gets too tired.

Post # 10
2818 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

You can absolutely handle that. Remember to take turns driving if you’re not used to long distances. Have fun!

Post # 11
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

nadnuk:  i would do it. DH wouldn’t. Lol 

As a kid my parents used to drive every summer from NYC to Miami FL, so i dont mind

Post # 12
643 posts
Busy bee

With the price of gas and the extra wasted time, I doubt I would do it. But it sounds like you would enjoy it, OP, so go for it!

Post # 13
5935 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

I hate road trips unless I can sleep through them. Well, my husband doesn’t like me to sleep because he wants me to keep him company. Therefore anything over 6-8 hours, you can count me out. Even my husband who hates to fly would rather not drive for longer than that.

Post # 14
4634 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

It depends if you can be in a car for that long, my ability to sit in a car and not be miserable drastically declines after about 4-5 hours. 

I would much prefer paying for the flight. The amount of time driving that distance would take, with the added cost of gas doesn’t seem worth it to me. 

Post # 15
6158 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

completely doable.  my mom always prefered driving instead of flying anyway. she drove from maryland to florida and back many times.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors