Post # 1
So at my 20 wk ultrasound the tech was trying to determine the gender and based on the images we were seeing both my hubby and I thought boy. The tech then announced it was a girl! I am excited but have been worried that maybe the tech got it wrong. Then at my drs appointment yesterday my dr said oh your having a boy. And I said no its a girl and she said oh okay. Now I am paranoid and want to pay $75 for a 3d ultrasound to get the gender redetermined. My hubby doesn’t think its necessary but I feel like I need reassurance before we paint the nursery purple. What would you bee’s do?
Post # 3
@mufflerlove: I’d spend the $75 honestly. You can’t paint a nursery pink then have a boy(:
Post # 4
have you got a copy of the US pic we can look at?
I had a similar experience at my 20 weeks scan too. The tech said it looks like a girl but wouldnt confirm. then My midwife said at a later appointment about baby being a boy. We were going to do a 3d one to find out but we have decided to remain team green with the higher change of baby being a girl.
Post # 5
I had a similar experience and I got an elective ultrasound to be 100% sure! It took all of 10 seconds to confirm he is, in fact, all boy.
Post # 6
I’d definitely pay the $75 for confirmation!!
Post # 7
Oh wow that is pretty confusing! Perhaps the tech thought it looked like a girl but the radiologist’s report said boy?
Post # 8
Oh gosh I’m sorry you’re in that mess. D: That’s a fear of mine as well. I’d pay for the ultrasound to get peace of mind but even then- probably would settle for a gender-neutral color before picking out accents after the baby is born. There’s really only one way to tell for sure- birth!
Post # 9
What did you see during the ultrasound that makes you think it’s a boy? When our tech got a shot of “the goods,” we could clearly see three lines indicating a girl.
Post # 10
I think the $75 is worth the piece of mind! I mean you’d paint, decorate, register, and pick a name for one gender, it’d suck to have it be another.
Post # 11
I’d say you should consider getting the 3d. Wait a month though, if you can, that way things are a little better developed and it’ll be easier to determine.
Post # 12
As far as I understand it, the image either shows ‘boy’ or ‘not boy’, if you know what I mean. The tech would know what they were looking at but mistakes do happen. Can you find out why your doctor said it was a boy?
I would get another scan, it’s not a lot of money in the scheme of raising childen! If you weren’t too bothered then it would probably be worth not painting the nursery yet 🙂
Post # 13
She showed us the baby’s bum and it looked like something was sticking out between the cheeks lol for lack of a better description. But I realize we may have saw the umbilical cord. She did then show us 3 lines which I thought I saw but looking back at my ultrasound pics I can’t pinpoint a picture that shows the gender. And then when the doctor mentioned it being a boy I got even more confused lol it’s probably irrational worry but I can’t stop it lol
Post # 14
- Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL
If you want to plan the nursery and registry around a particular gender then I would get another US however as PPs said, you need to wait another month for the baby to fatten up a bit or they tend to look weird on the 3D US. Can your doctor print out the US report preferably with a pic? I agree it may be that the tech got carried away and said one thing while the dr who ultimately read the US came to a different conclusion.
Post # 15
Can you possibly ask the dr for a re-do? Explain that tech said one thing, dr said another and you need peace of mind. Otherwise maybe see if there is a place that can do it for less than $75… that seems like a tad much for me. Unless you have it in the budget, then go for it!
Post # 16
I’d spend the extra money. We are team green but I’ve always said if we were to find out, we would definitely get a 3D to be SUPER sure before telling people/painting the nursery. I am paranoid though haha. I think the discrepancy between the tech/radiologist/doctor would make me want another confirmation too.