- Boston Bee
- 6 years ago
I currently have a toy poodle, Melvin. I adopted him from a shelter January 2010, and the vet believes he is around 5 years. For several months, I’ve been thinking about getting another dog, mostly because I’m a huge softy for animals and would love to give another one a loving home. I am an attorney, but only work 9-4:30, and I go home during lunch, so it’s a good situation for having pets. I own my home, which has a .25 acre backyard, so space isn’t a problem. I can afford another dog.
Here are my main issues:
- I don’t want Melvin to be jealous or feel neglected if I get another dog, and I hate not knowing how he would react. I would feel horrible if I had to return a dog to the shelter because they didn’t get along.
- I would want to get another male dog, and I’m afraid of dominance issues between them.
- Having 2 dogs in bed with my SO and I might be a tight fit. haha
When I take Melvin to the dog park, he gets along fine with the other dogs. Most of the time he just does his own thing and doesn’t pay much attention to the others actually. (so maybe he likes being alone?) I would be looking at similarly sized dogs (under 20 lbs).
So here are my questions:
- How did you make the decision to get a second dog?
- How did you introduce them?
- How was the transition?
- Do they get along or just tolerate each other?
Any other advice, tips, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated!