Getting married in early 2016—What do I need to do now?

posted 2 years ago in April 2016
Post # 2
744 posts
Busy bee

Congrats!  There’s not a whole lot to be done more than a year out, but you definitely want to book your priority vendors that could book up well in advance – mostly your venue and photographer.  Most other things can wait until a year or less out.  In the meantime, you can start to gather ideas about things you want for your wedding so you know what you want.

Post # 3
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Lots and lots of research! Start thinking about what you want and what you need in your wedding. Look at magazines and blogs. Get color ideas, venue ideas, decide on a budget. You can do all of these things with almost no cost (except magazines). 

Post # 4
4483 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Research! But mostly just enjoy being engaged-the real benefit of a long engagement is that there’s no rush

Post # 5
1670 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Around 17 months out I had made a guest list (important before booking the venue), booked the venue, church, and photographers. After that I didn’t do anything for a little while! 

Post # 6
1099 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

I wouldn’t so anything for as long as you can! lol! I got engaged a year ago in march and we aren’t getting married until next year and I’m already so freaking burned out on wedding stuff that I wish we were just getting married this year so I can stop concerning myself with it. While it was super fun in the beginning, I’m kind of over it right now. lol. Maybe narrow down where you’d like to have it and who you’d like to invite.

Post # 7
122 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Gather ideas and maybe get an idea of budget and guestlist.  Otherwise just  enjoy being engaged!  

Post # 8
35 posts
Newbee

All you should do right now is enjoy not having anything to do right now! Maybe daydream about your wedding or flip through magazines, but really I’d just enjoy not having to actively be planning a wedding yet.

Post # 9
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Set yourself a budget! The best thing to do would be to figure out what the average cost for things in your area are and work from there. Also, figure out your non-negotiable items, which will help you set a budget.

Post # 10
47 posts
Newbee

We are getting married in 2016, but its a destination wedding so we wanted to give our potential guests plenty of time to save. We did a site inspection, locked in our contracts, sent out our stds and linked our website so people can put down their deposits for their packages. This was done at 18 months.

Post # 11
2654 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Girl , I say do nothing and just enjoy the “stress free time” becasuse it doesn’t last long lol

Post # 12
2132 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

First, I would take at least a month just to enjoy being engaged.  It is special, and I’m SO glad I did that before jumping ahead to wedding planning mode.  Then, I’d pick the date, and book venues.  Venues really do book up fast (in my area everyone has more than a year engagement because all the venues book up well over a year in advance during the popular wedding months).  We booked our July 2014 wedding in February 2013, and while we did get our first choice date and venue, our venue already had many dates booked well into 2015.  I did the photographer that far out as well, as each wedding photographer can only do 1 wedding a day (whereas a florists could do multiple weddings a weekend).  After that, relax and enjoy being engagaed.  Everything else really could be done at 6 months prior- might want to look at dresses a bit at about 10-12 months beforehand, but that is the fun part    

Post # 13
1259 posts
Bumble bee

Enjoy being engaged for a little bit before you do anything! 🙂 

Then set a guest list and a solid budget. The budget does dictate the guest list, but the guest list also dictates the budget. So I say do some research about what you’re planning and things you want for the wedding so you get a rough idea. It doesn’t hurt to reach out to potential vendors, even though their prices will likely increase between now and April 2016. 

When you do the guest list, have you write our your list and your FI write his. Then compare the two. Make sure you didn’t miss anyone. Then if you want, ask your parents and his if there is anyone else that should be included. If not, cool, but most families tend to start adding on…lol. 

Post # 15
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2016 - hotel

Enjoy the engagement!! We were engaged a few months b4 we decided on a date! Mine is Feb 2016 and I have the venue booked, photographer, florist, cake, band booked, wedding party asked..I like to be really organised!! I think the more u book in advance the more u can relax and enjoy it xxx

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors