(Closed) Getting Married in Philadelphia-May, 2013

posted 6 years ago in Philadelphia
Post # 3
542 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I went to a wedding at the Old Mill this past october. It was very nice!  Food was decent and the outdoor areas are gorgeous.  The only thing I didn’t like is that there wasn’t any seating during cocktail hour, and there weren’t many cocktail tables to rest the drinks either.  The wedding I went to was on the larger side, so the reception room was a little cramped IMO.  It is the suburbs of Philly, about 30-40 minutes southwest, so if you’re going to be living in the city or having lots of relatives come in from out of town, you might want to look into something actually in the city.

I recently got married in Philly in June, so if you’d like to know who I used (and would recommend) for my vendors, feel free to PM me!

Post # 4
1304 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I can’t comment on event planning in Philly, but I went to college there and it is a great town.  Good luck with your move!

Post # 5
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I highly recommend Vivianne Aires for make up. She did my make up and my friend’s wedding as well. Plus I have worked with her several times with other brides and she does absolutely beautiful work and is so wonderful to work with. 

About Me

Post # 7
17 posts
  • Wedding: June 2013

I live in Delaware County and although I have not been to a wedding at the Old Mill, I have heard great things about it!!

I am using Swoon Over It Photography, her name is Amanda and she is fabulous.  I am not sure of your budget but there is also Hoffer Photography who is AMAZING! (His pics are on the Old Mills site)  they were already booked for my date or this would have been my #1- or Lurey Photography.  She has a unique style if you are looking for something different. 

Marcus Hook Florist is FAB!  I also looked in to Eventricity as well but they were a bit out of my price range.

Depending on where you will be living, I highly recommend Joseph Anthony Spa & Salon in Glen Mills (close to the Old Mill)for make up and hair! they have a private bridal suite and serve breakfast (or lunch depending on the time) and serve light cocktails! you can bring your own drinks also if you like.

My venue is providing the cake but I have friends who used Desserts By Dana in Delaware (he won TLC’s Cake Boss challenge) and they rave about him.  his prices are actually very reasonable considering his popularity and competitors.  

I live in Delaware County so if you need any other suggestions or have questions- feel free to PM me!!! Good luck!Smile

Post # 8
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Shan34:  I lived in Philly for about seven years after graduating from college, so I can definitely be a resource as far as how awesome that city is!!!!  If you are going to live in the city proper, you might not even need a car, which is awesome.  Septa (public transportation) is stinky and slow, but way cheaper and better for the environment than having a car.

Step One to enjoying life in Philly: Go to Tria Cafe on a regular basis.  Be sure to join their member program; for $3 you get a card, and they keep track of all the wine, cheese, and beer you consume.  When you try 25 different wines, you get a wine prize!  When you try 25 different cheese, you get a cheese prize!  When you try 25 different beers, you get a beer prize!  When you spend $500, you get a $50 gift card to Tria…but the cool part is that your points continue to accumulate, so you add up to $1000!!!!!  Same thing with wines, etc.  I love this place so much and am so sad to be 110 miles away from them.  =(

Step Two: Dollar tacos at Drinkers.  19th and Chestnut.  From 3 or 4pm till 11pm.  

Step Three: XPN.  WXPN is “member support radio from the University of Pennsylvania”.  They play awesome music pretty much all day long.  They have free shows all the time, too, at their cafe/broadcast location.

Step Four: H&M.  There are two H&M stores in Philly within four blocks of each other (one at 18th and Walnut; the other at 16th and Chestnut).  The Walnut store has “adult” clothing while the Chestnut store is more funky and “teen” based; both are awesome.

Step Five: Philly Beer Week.  

Step Six: Philly Restaurant Week.

Step Seven: I’ve got to stop, since I’m gonna be so sad not to be there anymore.  We live in Central PA now.  Sigh.

Post # 9
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@peachacid:  I FORGOT ABOUT TRADER JOE’S!!!!

The topic ‘Getting Married in Philadelphia-May, 2013’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors