- Moderate Mouse
- 6 years ago
- Wedding: March 2013
Sometime in the past six months or so, I somehow wound up with a lump in my lower back. The first person to find out about it was my now FI (an old boyfriend that I got back together with in August and got engaged to shortly before Halloween). If I recall correctly, he noticed it in the fall when we were making out at his place back in either August or September.
For some reason, I never got around to mentioning it to my mom or stepdad whom I’m still (technically) living with. (Maybe it was laziness. Maybe it was something I thought needed to blow over and be nothing.) Well one time in October, when now FI was at my place, he mentioned the lump to my stepdad (and even though FI said that “it needed to be told”, I felt guilty that it was told by someone other than me). Obviously I had no choice but to mention it to my mom. As I’m still living with her and have no income (no luck with the job search) I kind of had to rely on her to make the arrangements to get me an appointment at a free or low-cost clinic in town since again I have no income and my age, if not my not being a student anywhere, makes me legally ineligible to be put on my mom’s insurance. Initially, she was at fault for letting other things take precendence over getting whatever paperwork would be involved in me getting the financial assistance needed for the appointment, any surgeries needed, etc.. Then there were changes in my availability that I failed to properly confirm with her which caused her to let it slide even more. (We’ve cleared the air on that.) Once she had finally decided she would make getting the arrangements in place a priority, she had gone to talk to someone about that, and supposedly there’d be no promises as to when the appointment would happen. Last week, I explained the situation to my FI (who has probably been more nervous about the lump than I have) to the best of my knowledge and understanding. He took it upon himself to arrange an appointment for me, which is scheduled for tomorrow, barring anything unforseen, and well, let’s just say he’s got ways to try and help me get a reduced rate.
According to FI, who has been able to see the lump better than I have, it has gotten to 1 1/2 inch long by 1 inch wide and is bruised and hard. My mom thinks the lump, or at least what she’s seen of it, is likely a benign cyst, (and there’s a family history of cysts in one part of the body or the other), and depending on its nature, will likely either require a small incision to be taken out or needs to be sucked out by a needle designed for that. FI’s worried that it might be more serious than that.
I have no clue at this point what the outcome will be. Hopefully, my mom is right and it’s not overly serious. But if surgery has to be involved, it will likely have to wait until I have the means to personally pay for that, which could be a while even though I am working on getting an income stream going.