Post # 1
Darling Husband and I are the market looking to buy a home. And, we’re currently trying to negotiate with the seller right now and I’m anxious/frustrated/nervous. Argh! It’s as bad as dating when you’re waiting by the phone waiting for an answer.
During our online research, we’ve read some horror stories about buyers/sellers being difficult and etc. Do you have any to share? Maybe it can give me some perspective.
Post # 3
God yes I am going through it all year, in January we put a deposit on a house that was rebuilt as the originally house got burned down , when our lawyer was looking over everything she realised that part of the house was council approved , the owners refused to get it council approved before we moved in so we took our deposit back. April this year we found a duplex that was in the process of being build and one side was still available for sale, we put a deposit down and it’s now SEPTEMBER and we still haven’t moved in , that’s 5 months because they are still sorting out paperwork or some crap , we were meant to move in yesterday and then again today but nope so I am hoping it is tomorrow or Friday as I have taken those days off workl
Post # 4
We found a house we loved. Paid for three appraisals and couldn’t get one to come close to the purchase price. Finally, we just asked for our deposit back and are no longer looking.
Post # 5
@MissAtoMrsV2014: Oh, no! Ick. 5 months of waiting is tough! I hope you get to move in tomorrow or Friday!
@MrsTVLover: I have heard of this but I didn’t think that it was possible that the appraisal couldn’t come close to the purchase price after 3 appraisals. That sucks!
Post # 6
Just with a seller realtor. I had mine ask everyone if a house had cats due to a severe allergy. If it did, Darling Husband looked while I checkout out the backyard.
One seller realtor said no, it was pet free, and then right on the stupid brochure she had made it said please do not let the cat out! Luckily we saw the food dish quickly, before I really got far and I only ended up with a minor asthma attack.
FFS why do they think I’m asking before viewing a house?
Post # 7
- Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA
Our sellers were a major pain in the ass to work with – their realtor would bitch to our realtor about how she was on the verge of quitting.
When we finally closed, we showed up after closing at the house to find that it was filthy and they had barely started packing. It took them TWO DAYS after closing (and supposed transfer of possession) to leave! We didn’t try to rush them too much on the hopes that they’d clean the place, which was marginally successful…
Post # 8
@lolot: Boo! Seriously, did they think their things would pack themselves?
@AB Bride: Darling Husband and I have bad allergies to pet dander and smoke so we’re going to have to make sure to look at non-smoking homes or homes with only hardwood floors.
Post # 9
@mnp: There is special cleaning you can get done too, but it adds up. We ended up with a pet-free, smoke-free home. My cat allergy is bad though, I could have ended up in the hospital because getting people in the house was important to the stupid realtor than my health.
Post # 10
We found a house we LOVED and put down earnest money and also threw away over $1200 combined for inspections and legal fees. Our inspectors discovered that almost every single system in the house (furnace, A/C, roof, electrical, plumbing, water heater, dishwasher, etc) was broken beyond repair, not done to any code, not permitted work, or close to failing. On top of that there was a rodent infestation and no heat in one of the bedrooms! We still were willing to move forward and asked the sellers for just $5,000 of concessions, which was a FRACTION of what we were going to have to spend just to fix everything to be able to move in. And the stupid sellers refused every. single. one. of our requests, so we had to walk away. Then the sellers spent the next several days ruining our vacation by pestering us with pathetic offers to renegotiate/thinly veiled legal threats – they still were barely offering anything except a crappy “home warranty” that their own realtor was throwing in for free! NO DEAL! Good riddence and good luck to them finding someone else willing to take on that money pit.
Post # 11
@FreeRangeMom: That must have been so disheartening!
Post # 12
- Wedding: March 2014 - A castle
@mnp: Our mortgage broker didn’t start our closing papers until 1 week before closing… then he realized for the FHA loan we needed proof of my employment… well technically I wasn’t yet employed, we bought the house in the location where my new job was starting. So it was a total Catch-22, we couldn’t buy the house unless I had 30 days of employment, and I couldn’t go to work if I didn’t have a place to live!!
The only way around this was to get cosigners on the loan. It took an additional 3 weeks of my grandparents running around getting bank statements, mutual fund statements, IRA statements, tax forms, itemizations of all the properties they own with rent schedules, etc. etc. To the point where it put my 83 yr old grandfather in the hospital for 2 months!! RIDICULOUS
Our closing was delayed for a month during all of that – so the seller’s started charing $100/diem for each day we were extended beyond closing. This ended up being a few thousand dollars. We were going to be responsible for it until I threw an ungodly fit to the President of our mortgage company and he ended up feeling so bad that they waived all of our closing fees and paid the per diem.
It was a disaster but it’s all a distant memory.
My grandpa is just fine now.
Post # 13
@mnp: I work on the finance side of the industry for a HUGE lender. I hear horror stories every single day. I’d say out of the 5 or so borrowers I talk to a day, 4 are freaking furious and sick of the process.
My experience in this position has me in NO hurry to purchase a home :-/
Post # 14
First of all, we spent ten months house hunting. That sucked. There’s a competitive market here, and there were at least 2 houses we made an offer on but were way outbid.
We did an inspection for the first house we went into escrow on, including a special inspection of the sewer connection because it was a 30 foot drop down. The house had been fixed up, and first of all, almost none of the work they had done had been done properly. Not even just not to code, but some stuff was just done stupidly. And the inspector was pretty sure the foundation was shoddy, though we’d need another inspection to find out more. But the kicker is the sewer line. About 10 feet down there was a huge crack, meaning stuff was just seeping into the ground in the middle of the back yard. We walked. That was a health & safety issue, so they had to disclose it to future buyers at least, yay making things more difficult for them.
When we did inspections on our current house, everything went great. There were a lot of little things, but no deal breakers. And then, when we were out of town, the DAY Fiance PROPOSED, we almost lost the house, and Fiance had to spend two hours on the phone trying to sort everything out. There was an issue with the loan, our stupid bank couldn’t approve it because Fiance had a credit card his parents pay for (for stuff they’ve agreed he can use it for, like a nice dinner while visiting his brother), and as of January (this was early March) that counts as hidden credit and can’t be included. The seller was not pleased, and to keep the house we had to ask for more time to get the loan sorted out, in return offering another $10K to the offer and risking our deposit . We had to hedge a bet that after Fiance immediately canceled the card the credit reporting agency and then the bank would work fast enough for us to close escrow. It all worked out, but it was sooo stressful.
Post # 15
We put in an offer right after looking at our home. It was accaepted, and everything was going smoothly for a while. (We put in an offer early-mid may, in was verbally accepted right away). We decided to hold off on our inspection, because as part of our offer they were going to put on a new roof. The roof took a month after getting an accepted offer.
We were suposse to have our inspection on July 6th. Just before the inspection the seller calls my dad (our realtor), and sounds like her wants to go back on the deal, because we didn’t want to move back our closing date (our loan, and terms expired just a few days after the current closing date, but we were willing to negotiate thier occupancy dates). After some time it got settled, and we finally got our inspection. But we had more problems with the seller, and I was on edge untill we closed.
After we closed my husband had to help move the seller. The seller kept on complaining about a broken foot or something, and all of his help fell through. The seller claimed that he was going to be out on saturday (we closed on that friday, our occupancy date started on monday), but with my husband’s help didn’t get moved out untill almost 11 pm that Sunday.
And he left so much stuff. Some of it useful, some of it just junk!
Post # 16
@FutureDrAtkins: After all the trouble you had were you still happy to have bought your home?
@badabing88: We had a little hiccup with our lender. And, it was because our loan amount was too small. We’re looking at a townhome where the seller wants to sell quick and get out. We had to finagle the numbers to meet the min. and hopefully, the lender will agree with it.
@ladyamalthea: 10 months house-hunting! That’s insane. We’ve seen many “ok” homes since many homeowners are hanging onto their homes until they can recup some of their losses and the ones on the market are in need of TLC. I’m glad it all worked out!
@auggiefrog: You and your hubby are so patient and kind enough to help the seller move!
This is really good to know. This way, I can brace myself for impact.