(Closed) Greek Honeymoon – last wk of Oct/first wk of Nov 2013

posted 5 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
3947 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I haven’t gone there during this time – but I always suggest to take the ferry from Athens to Santorini (and vice versa) instead of fly.  It will save you a ton of money. 

Post # 4
3886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I’d hold off a bit before committing to visit Greece. There’s still an awful lot of financial issues, hence it’s very cheap to visit, but there are some knock-on issues with supply lines and basic government services being interrupted. Like occasional suspension of public transportation and problems with companies that distribute goods. There have also been some pretty violent protests. Analysts expect it will get worse before it gets better, and with almost a year before that travel date, I’d be concerned that conditions would be quite grim by them. Of course things could get a lot better, but I personally wouldn’t lock in on anything just yet.

Post # 5
942 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I got married in Santorini in July. we really didn’t like Athens. Due to the political situation there’s a lot of tension amomgst the residents, although the islands are much more laid back. I’d suggest 1 day Athens & the rest on the islands.

we caught a ferry there & flew back, I strongly urge flying. The fastest ferry took 3 hours & the whole boat was seasick & there is little to see on the way.

definitely get a hire car in Santorini, although the roads are narrow & the drivers are insane, still worth it. We stayed at Blue Dolphins firostefani and it was amazing, can highly recommend it.

we had 5 days in Santorini & enjoyed every single day. It was very relaxing, spent most of the time at the beach or on our balcony. If you’ve not booked anything and still tossing up ideas, we also did a 7 day cruise of the North Aegean, definitely something you should consider. Oh My God the most awesomest thing we’ve ever done. We didn’t want to get off the ship!

Post # 6
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

We spent two weeks in Greece for our honeymoon in September and highly recommend it. Have  you checked the weather the time of year you’re planning to go? I don’t know but it may be a little cool. We spent 2 days in Athens, 3 in Mykonos and 4 in Santorini, and while in Mykonos it was actually not warm enough to lay out. The high temp there was 70. About the ferry that a PP mentioned, I highly recommend the flight from Athens to Santorini instead of the ferry – that ferry trip is 7 hours or you can pay under $50 a person more to take a 30 minute flight. We took the flight from Santorini to Athens (thank goodness) but we did the ferry from Athens to Mykonos and in hindsight, we would have done the flight instead because the ferry ride was so long.  

Post # 7
4150 posts
Honey bee

Oh, and like a PP said, 2 days in Athens is PLENTY. Santorini, on the other hand, is paradise and I could have stayed there for a couple weeks. 

Post # 8
515 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I have been to Greece three times during the first couple of week in November – twice it was beautiful, warm, sunny (but chilly at night) and swan in the sea lots (non heated pool at hotel was freezing).  The other time I went it rained most days and was not nice at all! I love Greece though, great food, friendly people and lovely scenery.

Post # 9
3947 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@hardtoconcentrate:  I’m not sure which ferry you took, but the one i took only took 3 hours.  

Post # 10
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

We went in June, but we spent 2 weeks in Greece for our honeymoon.  We visited Paros, Crete, and Athens.  I personally LOVED Athens and we wished we would have had more time to explore there.  The islands were amazing though, too.  The Greeks are seriously the nicest people I have ever met and the food is AMAZING.  We didn’t have any issues what-so-ever despite the political instability.  Everyone is really accomodating to tourists because we are their main source of income.

Post # 11
4150 posts
Honey bee

@KateByDesign The only ferries from Athens to Santorini I saw in my research and discussions with travel agents were a 7 hour high speed or a 9 hour regular ferry, so I didn’t see the one you took. Honestly, in my opinion after taking a 2.5 hour one while we were there, it’s still worth it to me to pay the small increase to take the 30 minute flight instead but that’s  obviously something everyone has to decide for themselves. 

Post # 13
2866 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@hardtoconcentrate:  

@RahlyRah:  

Did either of you use travel agents? I am really wanting to go to Greece and just feel not equipped to book things and decide where to go on my own. 

Post # 14
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@mixtapehearts:  We did it on our own.  It really wasn’t that bad.  Setting up flights was a bit of a pain though. We chose to do two islands, Athens, and Istanbul, Turkey during our 2 weeks so it was a lot of travel!

Post # 15
2866 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@RahlyRah:  If you find the time and wouldn’t mind sharing would you shoot me a PM of different places you stayed? It would help me as a jump off point, I am so clueless. All I know is I wanna go! haha. 

The topic ‘Greek Honeymoon – last wk of Oct/first wk of Nov 2013’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors