(Closed) Groom in black & Groomsmen in Khakis

posted 8 years ago in Grooms/men
  • poll: Is it okay to have the groom in black and the groomsmen in khakis?
    Groom in black & Groomsmen in Khakis? : (3 votes)
    14 %
    Everyone in Khakis w/groom having a different colored tie/bout? : (13 votes)
    62 %
    Groom in black & Groomsmen in black w/brown ties? : (2 votes)
    10 %
    Other - please explain : (3 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 3
    948 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

I think we are having the groom in black and his boys in dark brown.  If I have to stand out, then so is he. 

Post # 5
    66 posts
    Worker bee

The groom is usually in the lighter shade if there is a difference. Is “groom in khaki and guys in black” an option?

Post # 7
    3098 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

I really like all the guys in the same color, but the groom in a different shade and with a different color tie.

Post # 8
    530 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

They don’t at all have to match…. but black (aka, a tuxedo look, even if it’s not a tuxedo proper) really won’t go with other men in khakis. Go for all semi-formal, or all formal. It sounds like semi-formal daytime is the way you’re leaning. You could totally dress your groom in gray, or some such, and have groomsmen in seersucker, for example, if you’re not into the all-khaki army.

Post # 9
    11325 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

I voted other. If your bms are wearing brown… perhaps the groomsman could wear brown? I think it would look nice if the groom was in khaki and the groomsman were in chocolate brown. Or if you want him in darker… maybe the groom in chocolate brown and the groomsman in khaki? I just think khaki/black is weird. 

Post # 10
    1765 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

What if you did guys in khakis (no jacket) with your groom in a linen suit that’s khaki colored? Or if the guys wore black pants, no jacket with your groom in black? Or gray suits with your groom in the black suit? just some thoughts.

I agree with sailor, I think it would look weird with khaki/black. like a major disconnect there.

Post # 11
    7975 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

yeah, the khakis and suit really dont line up. :/

Post # 12
    177 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2008

I did something similar to what cinemaparadiso suggested, but I had a Destination Wedding in hawaii and my guys weren’t that formal looking.  My husband wore a khaki suit with ivory tie and the groomsmen had on khaki pants with a white short sleeve button up.  PM me if you’d like to see some pictures.

Post # 14
    66 posts
    Worker bee

Again, typically if there is a difference between the groom and groomsmen, it’s the groom who’s in the lighter shade– same way that you won’t see bridesmaids wearing ivory. The attention is drawn where it belongs. We’ve done lots of weddings where the groom wore a light suit (khaki or linen), and the guys were in black or brown suits. It makes for great “whole party” pictures.

Post # 15
    1 posts
    • Wedding: November 2010

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. The color of the khaki suits matches the Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses I want perfectly.

I would hesitate to say that if you wanted to put the guys in plain khaki pants, but since the suits are the same level of formality, I think it sounds great!

The topic ‘Groom in black & Groomsmen in Khakis’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors