- 8 years ago
- Wedding: February 2011
So we’re having an Out of Town wedding at a hotel and the hotel has asked us if we’d like to guarantee rooms (for those of you unfamiliar with the practice, it means that you set aside a specific number of rooms that are guaranteed to a) be available and b) achieve the special wedding rate BUT you are financially responsible for them if they don’t get filled b/c the hotel can’t sell them otherwise). The other option is to “reserve rooms” which means that we can put rooms on hold, but if the hotel starts to sell out, then the rooms will be sold to the general public. Our hotel has offered a base-rate of guaranteeing 5 rooms for 2 nights each–you can go up from there.
Anyway, I’m just wondering if anyone else out there had this option, did you take it, and what was your experience (ie, would you recommend guaranteeing or is it unnecessary)? It seems like a good idea, but the idea of owing a hotel a cool $800 at minimum is giving me hives.
Oh, and here are a few other variables, FWIW:
-wedding is in a vacation town that will be in high season during our weekend–historically, the hotel gets about 80-90% full for our weekend
-About 55% of our guests are “local”–but that means about a 1-2 hour drive. No one lives in the town; the other 45% would have to take a plane. So it’s sort of like, the people most likely to attend are the people least likely to rent rooms. We are billing this as a “wedding weekend,” but it’s up to the guest whether they’d like to stay a few days or just come in for the reception brunch–the invite is specifically for the brunch, but the reception card details events over the course of the weekend.
-AND our ceremony is private (immediate family only) and separate from this event, so we are anticipating more no-shows since there are going to be people who won’t travel out-of-state because they’re not going to be witnessing vows.