(Closed) Guest List Cut to 115, Venue holds 200+. Should we change venues?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Should we use a venue that holds 200+ if we are only inviting 115?
    Yes, it won't look empty once you add everything into the room. : (19 votes)
    100 %
    No, the room is going to look empty. : (0 votes)
    Other, share below. : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    3182 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I think you’ll be fine, I think ours holds 250 and we are only inviting 140.  We are putting 8 at a table and spacing things out a bit so I think it will be fine.  Keep in mind that generally venues want their max number to be on the higher side so 200+ might be more like 150 comfortably. Also think about the space your DJ/Band, dancefloor, cake table, gift table and whatever else is going to take up. 

Post # 4
    1066 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Do you have to pay a fee if you dont meet a minimum # of people?  For my shower, they moved us to a huge room and we only had 70 people.  I was so worried about how it would look, but we did tables of 7 and 8, and had them closer to the center of the room, and filled the edges of the room with tables for gifts, and the sweet table, that it really ended up looking good!  I kinda like more space because I can’t stand jammed weddings where there is no room to dance or your chair is hitting the person’s behind you.

As long as there isn’t an extra fee for less people, I would keep the bigger room and just dress it up a lot.  You can put taller cruiser tables with candles on one half of the room to make it like a lounging area for when guests arrive, etc… there are so many possibilities!

Post # 5
    2095 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Makes for more of a dance area 🙂 Our venue holds 250 and we are having about 130 there. Still getting RSVPs back so that is an estimate. We are also doing 8 at a table. Ours is buffet so there will be food and drink tables, cake table, gift table, dj table try doing a layout of the room and see what you come up with. It might not be as bad as you think.

Post # 6
    161 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I always feel like its better to have too much room than not enough.  I went to a wedding once where people were lining up to pass each table because everything was so smushed together…. definitely stay with the larger venue!

Post # 7
    1498 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

We’re in the same situation — venue holds 250, our guest list is only 100 so we’re expecting probably 80-90 to attend.

I brought this up with the venue coordinator and she said that what you have to keep in mind is that the maximum capacities listed are the ABSOLUTE maximum a room can hold when stuffed full of people and tables/chairs — i.e. when it’s all crowded together uncomfortably to fit everyone and everything in there. If you’re at around half the maximum capacity, things will be more spatious and more comfortable. She suggested that if we were worried about the room feeling empty, we could do some/all tables with only 7 seats at them instead of 8, so that we would need an extra table or 2 to fill up the space a bit. But really, I think having fewer 8-seat tables and more aisle room to walk around in is preferable.

I went to a wedding last year that must have been at maximum capacity because there were 9-10 people at some of the tables, and the tables were all REALLY close together, making it really hard to move around the room, or even scoot your chair out to get in/out without hitting someone or blocking the aisle. It sucked.

Post # 9
    104 posts
    Blushing bee

I agree completely with Kant (above). Our venue could hold 300 and we had 190 guests. The venue had table that they said sat 10. We had 8 sit at each table. Guests actually thanked me for not being squished at their table and for having room to move around from table to table. When guests have room to move, they’ll mingle with people more, and dance more (both because of better access to the dance floor and to the bar lol). I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

The topic ‘Guest List Cut to 115, Venue holds 200+. Should we change venues?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors