(Closed) Hair & Makeup Prices…Are they reasonable?

posted 9 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: Are these prices reasonable?
    Yes, go for it! : (2 votes)
    12 %
    No, but do it anyways since she is good and you don't want to risk it : (2 votes)
    12 %
    No, ask for another quote : (8 votes)
    47 %
    Ask for another BM quote : (1 votes)
    6 %
    Other...and I will comment below : (4 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 3
    95 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

I have to say that it would *definitely* be a red flag for me if she was so quick to cut down her prices by that much — that means she knows she was overcharging. (Hello, wedding markup!)

Post # 5
    2434 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2008

Do your BMs even want to have their hair done?  I have super curly hair and I NEVER have it done because every stylist who has ever touched it turned me into a frizz ball.

If your maids just want to do their own hair (mine did), then you don’t have to worry about them.

Post # 7
    1276 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I don’t think having a different person do your hair vs. your BMs is a big deal.  I would expect that the bride would want a more expensive person, and think it considerate if she helped me find a less expensive option.  And how far is the travel…$100 isn’t crazy if it’s like an hour or two (that’s time she might otherwise be doing other people’s hair).

That said, it’s weird that she *halved* so quickly.  But if you’re okay with what will essentially be $250 for you alone, go for it.  Otherwise tell her what you can afford, and see what she says.  I agree that it’s nice not to have to risk a last minute hair trial with someone you don’t know.  Of course, can you get the local people to send you photos in advance?

Post # 8
    209 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

I don’t remember what the exact cost was, but my hairstylist charged me by the mile for travel. That seems like a fair way to do it.

Post # 9
    613 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

I am paying for half of my BMs hair and make up.  The MU artist and stylist are traveling to us…prices below.  I live in LA, land of the overpriced, and I consider her prices on the high side.  I think you should get a couple quotes in Chicago and subtract 10-20% off the top for NC.  Are there very few professional stylists in NC?  If so, she may know she has no real competition and doesnt need to price competively.  I bet that she is not booked solid for weeks on end, or else she wouldnt have negotiated down her rate so quickly.  I bet the recession is affecting her like everyone else.  I have used the recession to negoatiate pricing with most of my vendors…

• Hair (not an updo) – $45-$50 each
    • MU

• Bride – $100 (including trial)
      • BMs – $60 each (no lashes)
      • motheres – $50 (no lashes)

Both my MU artist and stylist recently moved to GA.  Since I signed the contract with them living in MI, there is no charge for travel.  But I just wouldnt pay for travel in general…you can go to the MAC counter at Nordstroms and get your make up done for $35 (the minimum purchase I think).  You are paying a premium for this service because she is coming to you.  Why would I pay the premium and for her travel.  Heck no!!  Get multiple quotes.  Google model mayhem and seach for MU artists in your area.

Post # 10
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

can’t you find a local place that isn’t so expensive? Maybe this is average where you live, but not for me. it just seems like an awful lot of money to me. I bet she is good but that she’s just as good as some other people. I think it’s very strange that she was willing to give you a quote then chop it in HALF! If mY FSIL wasn’t a hairstylist, I’d have gone to a local hair school. The one near me is VERY good and I’m always very impressed. They are $25 for an updo. They do makeup, too, but I found a makeup artist to do faces for $25. Try craigslist, women often post skills there. Call around and price them. Tell them you need to beat X price. People want your business, and stuff like this is negotiable.

Post # 11
    2856 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I was the MOH for my BF’s wedding last weekend. We drove to the salon so no travel was required but I did pay $72 for my hair. I actually chose to do my own makeup to keep costs down for me but I am confident of my makeup skills. The other bridesmaid paid $72 for the hair and $50 for the makeup. I think the bride paid in total $230 + for her hair and makeup with false lashes.

So to me the new quote seems to be more reasonable and what I will probably pay for mine when my wedding arrives.

Good luck!

Post # 12
    426 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2009

I think her brides price is average.  However $150 for a BM Hair only seems a bit high.

It does seem weird to me that she dropped her quote in half…. if those were her set prices, why would she just drop them??  just a bit weird.  Or maybe since she may know you are not from in town she figures she can try to get away with higher prices.  

Well I would either use her just for your hair and makeup and try to book your BM’s at a salon.  OR:

Is their a Chicago hair and makeup artist that would be willing to travel for your wedding hair and makeup?  Possibly for the same price as the original quote?  Then at least you know the person and can get a trial done early enough to know what your getting into… 

Post # 13
    1573 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

wow, she quoted you NYC prices.

I am having my hair done free care of a friend who works at John  Barrett at Bergdorf and Goodman on 5th Avenue-he offered!(normal is $250 with tax and tip $290)

My neighborhood salon is only $80 for an updo and $30 for make-up; hair and blowdry special is $60 discount price (believe me I bargained my little heart out; this is a good price for New York) I’m payin gfor hair and MU for my sis/MOH; an updo only for my junior BM/niece (she doesnt need caked on make-up) and only a blowdry and makeup for my mom, so total of $240 for my entire bridal party including me-Free; not bad! especially in NYC

and that’s for the Upper East Side in NYC one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city; I asked asked for bargains; if you truly want to save you will find a way, trust me, I recommend you don’t overspend if you don’t have to. I am an extremely frugal person, and trim where I can.

She is definitely overcharging you (it’s far more than NYC! unless you go to super upscale boutiques, even more expensive than fifth avenue!!!), ask around or tell her you’ll get back to her you are looking around with other hair stylists–she will come down;  trust your gut if it’s expensive it is!!

The topic ‘Hair & Makeup Prices…Are they reasonable?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors