@KingsDaughter: That is gorgeous!
I am so nervous. I have my final fitting in three days. I have already spent so much on alterations- boy, do those add up! I had the sleeves made out of the same lace that covers the entire dress, but I opted to have it beaded so that they looked like they ‘belonged’ on the dress, which was nearly $300 just for the beading! The gown has beautiful slight cap sleeves with detailing, so I wanted to preserve that. We opted to build the sleeves in Victorian-style, coming out from underneath the cap sleeves, rather than attaching the sleeve directly to the shoulder of the dress. I am worried that this was a mistake, and I will have to spend a fortune to fix it if it doesn’t work out. It made the dress look WAY more vintage than it even looked before (the pictures on the manufacturer’s site are HORRIBLE and do not portray the beauty of this dress), and the degree to which it changed the style of the dress really shocked me. I had the modesty panel moved down to reveal more chest/cleavage (not Vegas-style!), so I do understand what you mean about the ball gown and sleeves being too much! I told the seamstress that I felt like I was choking in fabric before we made the ‘V’ deeper.
This is the original dress (the two pictures at the top of this thread):
This is a picture of the back with a closer look at the sleeves (mine isn’t white, it is very ivory), although even this picture is hard to see all of the detail on the cap:
This is a close-up of the color and beading and thread/trim, which is carried out over the cap sleeves:
And this is KIND OF a horrible example, but the closest I could find right now, of the inspiration for our sleeves. It’s a Victorian wedding gown, and you’ll see how the sleeves are attached underneath? That’s what we did under the cap sleeves of my wedding dress. Obviously, these sleeves in the picture are much longer, but it’s all I could find:
Or something like this, where the ruffle essentially is the ‘cap’ sleeve, and the other sleeve comes from beneath it:
We added a ruffle around the end of the sleeve, just making them about 3/4 length with the ruffle included, and hopefully when they add the beading, it will sparkle and blend in more with the dress.
Ugh!!! This is awful!!! When I tried the dress on, from the front, it didn’t look TOO horrible, although, like I said, it TOTALLY changed the style of the dress. My contact at the shop said it looked vintage, like someone found it in their grandmother’s attic…I hope to goodness that is a compliment and doesn’t mean it looks costumey! But from the SIDE, I feel like it just looked WEIRD, and I can’t stop thinking about it.
Anyway! Thanks for the support. If this doesn’t look decent, I will have to spend hundreds more to have the sleeves entirely re-done, and I’m seven weeks away. Fingers crossed. I will post pictures of the final result.