Post # 1
So I wrote back in July or August that we had found our venue. Well now I am not so sure. I mean it is a nice place an all but I haven’t heard back from my email to them in days and I know that places like that get busy, but you could at least try to respond within 48 hours. Am I being unresonable? I am trying to figure out drinks right now because we have to see what we can afford. Our parents want alcohol at the wedding which is fine.. I just need to figure out if we could afford it there. So I sent this email out at the very beginning of the week and here it is almost 4-5 days later and still no response. If they can’t respond to me normally.. I am kind of nervous whats going to happen when we get closer to the wedding date. Plus there are little fees that are being brought to my attention that I wasn’t aware of when we booked the place. Like I thought soft drinks were free all night when you buy meals. She didn’t tell me otherwise. I found that out the other day. So that wasn’t expected. Another thing that threw me off was when we went to the tasting together, they didn’t even have my name correct. They had me under Kimberly. Okay.. I rarely know a Kimberly.. let alone my name is no where near Kimberly. Plus when we made our decision we were feeling kind of rushed to make a decision. And I am not really sure we want a full dinner anymore which is what we have to have at the bluff, and we also have to have a guest minimum so if we don’t hit it we have to pay extra and I am not sure I like that so much. What if of our 270 people we invite only 130 show up? We would have to pay for those 20 people who aren’t even there. So now we may be backing out. We lose 600 dollars if we do, but I would rather have somewhere that I trust to keep me updated and responsive to my emails! So we haven’t canceled our reservation at the Bluff yet, but we have been looking at other venues that we may not have found out about until after we booked our first one.
Has anyone else ever done this? Advice? Stories? Anything really. Look forward to your responses Bees
Post # 3
First, I think it’s very normal for a venue to take that long to respond to email. This is a busy time of year and your wedding is still far off. When your wedding is on the forefront of their minds, you don’t want them focusing on 2013 brides do you? I booked my first venue in 2008 so I know how hard it is to want to get all the details finalized but have to wait on vendors who (honestly) really don’t care about your wedding at the moment. It’s a pain but they can’t wait on every bride at once. I would give them a call and discuss the alcohol issue. Communication seems to be a problem too. I am dealing with the same stuff with my coordinator and it’s frustrating. My name is not very common but I still find it annoying when she spells my name wrong repeatedly on contracts. I just think you shouldn’t rush into cancelling on them if the issues you’ve stated aren’t really a big deal. Talk it over with your fiance and parents and see what they think. I know I tend to overreact a bit, so it’s nice to have an outsider’s perspective.
Now, about your original question. We booked our first venue in 2008 when we first got engaged. We rushed into the decision, thought we got a good deal and put down a deposit. Some months later, we started regretting it. I didn’t want to talk to Fiance about it because I thought he’d blame me for rushing into it. He didn’t bring it up to me either. So we just stuck with the venue we were unhappy with because we were afraid of losing a deposit, afraid of not finding another venue with 10/10/10 open, etc. The first venue ended up going bankrupt and let me tell you, we were SO THANKFUL. People were shocked because on the outside, we never voiced discontent with them. But really, it was a blessing. We were able to book another venue that was much more affordable and much closer to us. SO it did end up having a happy ending. We lost $1000 and hopefully we’ll get that back with bankruptcy court. I don’t think $600 is a lot of money to lose if you will be happier somewhere else.
Post # 4
Sounds like my venue. I found out a few weeks after no responce that the kid I was emailing ” no longer worked there” I would suggest calling because thats how we found that out.
Venues do get very busy but they SHOULD be responding within 48 ours at the latest IMO.
If you want to back out now would be a good time. You prob wont find a venue that doesnt have some sort of minimum. My venue has a food & drink minimum not a # of people that need to come which I liked better then having X amount of people.
Post # 5
I know my issues with it aren’t huge issues and that is why we have decided to leave our deposit just in case we don’t find somewhere elsed, doesn’t have our date or something just comes up. I have tried to call and usually it takes 3 or 4 times for them to answer. And of course.. Now his mom tells me that a girl she worked with had her wedding there and 2 weeks before the wedding the bride was sitting on the edge of her seat because she hadn’t heard from them. I am the type that I need to feel like if I need anything I could email or call and they would answer. I also think our vision of our wedding keeps changing and I am not sure that the venue changes with it. I know I am probably overeacting a little bit to small problems. But I am not sure I was ever fully happy with our decision. I think in my head I had something else planned out. And I am not sure a lot of our close family members we okay with the decision of the venue anyways. I think we just felt rushed and now we are regretting our decision. So we will probably just look and take notes about prices and see what we can afford. We have 3 places that we are looking at. One was one I really liked when we were first looking but I couldn’t find prices and they do taste testings when they give you their quotes. So we had to wait for one of their dates available and by the time we got to it we had already decided well I guess we will go here.
Is it bad that I dream the My Fair Wedding comes in and gives me some beautiful venue that I love…. No I think not. Hopefully I can find it without him having to come. ha ha.
@sboston06: Sounds like your story worked for the best for you guys. Ours most likely will not do that. But you never know.
Post # 6
@mishelleez: I wish ours was that type of minimum. I could do that! I am just afraid even though we are inviting a ton of people it is a friday and if we used their venue we would have to have our reception at 4:30 instead of like 7 because we have to have a meal there and we can’t have just desert only we may not make their “quote” for the number of people who have to be there. Which kind of stinks. I actually found a couple of places where they didn’t have a minimum which made me happy on the inside and the outside! We do have to use their caterers though which makes sense.
Post # 7
I emailed a venue to look at it and it was my top pick at the time, I emailed them in early August and yesterday they emailed me back to ask if I was still interested! It made me glad I didn’t book with them. I’m feeling this way about our photographer too, she takes days to email me back. We haven’t officially booked her yet but like her work and now I’m unsure if we should.
It sounds like you have a large guest list but I think usually the “show up” rate is much higher then 50%, about 70% I was told by our venue so I would think hitting the minimum would be pretty easy so I wouldn’t let that change your mind.
$600 is not a lot to lose if you back out but that’s probably all your soft drink costs right there. Our venue requires you to pay half of the minimum if you back out, if you back out within 6 months it’s the full minimum (7K) so $600 really isn’t that bad if you will be happy somewhere else.