Post # 1
Bees I’m freaking out.
Background: We have what we think is a poison ivy plant in the corner of our yard.
So here’s what happened: My husband is out of town so I’m getting up early at the lovely hour of 5am so I can walk the dog before work. Well when I got up this morning he was hanging out by the back door, so I let him out and then went into the kitchen to make my lunch. He came back in the house, I gave him a nice good morning petting, hopped in the shower, and continued with my morning.
It wasn’t until I was on my way to work that I realized in my tired state I forgot to WATCH him while he was outside to make sure he stayed away from the plant.
Now I’m terrified I accidently rubbed the poison all over myself while in the shower!!!
SO my question is this…
If you got poison ivy how long did it take for the rash to appear? I want to know when I’m in the clear. This pregnancy is making me paranoid.
Post # 3
@AutumnMrs: Wash with the yellow DIAL antibacterial soap to break up the oil. You could try dishsoap too.
I literally get it on the wind – Yes, its possible. I get it at least once a year.
Hopefully if you wash the oil off fast enough you wont catch anything…
EDIT: It usually takes 24 hours or so for any bumps to appear. – With your story though its truly possible you didn’t even get any on you 🙂
Post # 4
@suburbian: Oh man….you get it from the wind?!? That sounds awful!
Post # 5
I’ve gotten poison ivy roughly 1 billion times before. Frequently terrible awful poison ivy.
Definitely wash with good soapy soap — dish soap works great. What did you touch your dog with, and did you wash those parts in the shower? If you just touched him with your hands, then even the shampoo you use in the shower would have taken the oil off you. If it got all over your legs, say, and you didn’t soap those, then the water would unfortunately just spread the oil around.
If you did get PI, you’ll start to itch within about a day, as PP said. It would start out very mild and then would get progressively worse, depending on the exposure. But there are plenty of topical treatments that are probably totally preggo-safe — you’d just have to stay away from the steroids and whatnot that are used to treat it internally. I’ve treated PI topically every time I had it, and while it sucks, it will be mostly gone within a week. Hope it all works out!
Post # 6
- Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL
@AutumnMrs: I don’t really react to it. I would say that if you don’t have a reaction within 12-24 hours, you’re in the clear. That said, calamine and benadryl are both approved poison ivy treatments for pregnant women.
Post # 7
@AutumnMrs: Yep – had a year where I never even got out of the car in a wooded area, I didn’t wank any trails, it wasn’t growing in the yard – I never saw a plant anywhere and I still got it.
I have a few scars on my feet from it. And let me tell you that I happened to get it in accelerated ways when I was younger and I was covered in all the most terrible ways you could imagine. Head to toe wouldn’t even give you a visual of how horrific it got.
Fortunately, most people aren’t that allergic and some people don’t have the reaction at all. My stepdad and I had years we would pass it back and forth to eachother while my brothers and sisters and my mom never seen a single bump.
Maybe you aren’t even allergic OP…
Post # 8
I would apply Technu just to be sure. It dissolves the oils before they cause a rash. You can find it by the other anti-tich/calamine stuff. The nstuff is amazing. I’m an ecologist so I’m always near poison ivy and can’t always avoid it. This stuff works wonders.
Post # 9
@suburbian: You sound like me! I don’t think I get it quite as easily as you but when I do get it, it instantly spreads everywhere, covering me from head to toe. I always have to go get steroid shots and the doctors get worried about my throat swelling shut. I’ve had times where my face is so swollen that I can barely open my eyes. I HATE poison ivy!
OP – Based on the situation you outlined, I doubt you’d get poison ivy. But if you have, you’ll start getting red and itchy within 24 hours.
Post # 10
@iarebridezilla: Well then hopefully i washed off any lingering oils from body wash/shampoo…but I definately touched my face under the water before I applied any soap because of course this was before i realized what could have happened haha
@beachbride1216: Okay so only couple days to wonder! I’ve never had it before but i don’t know if that’s because I don’t react or because I’ve never been exposed haha.
@suburbian: haha oh man, if I were you I would constantly be afraid I might be catching it.
@abax: HA at this point I wouldn’t even know where to put it!
Post # 11
@suburbian: I get it without touching the plant too! I am HIGHLY susceptible, and almost always have to go on steroids when I get it. Last year the rash was on my freaking FACE. When I was a kid, I had an eye swollen shut with poison ivy once. Some of us are just lucky like that, sigh.
Post # 12
@Mrs.KMM: Thank you! I guess if I’m good by tomorrow we’ll call it good. I wish there was a way to know how I’d react without having to totally test it! It’s like the plant in the yard…some people tell us 100% yup, it’s poison ivy, others think it’s not. But it’s not like we’re going to go touch it and see what happens 🙂
Post # 13
@BookishBelle: Yikes, I feel bad for all you super sensitive folk…and reeeealllllyyyy hope I’m not one of them!
Sidenote I love you name and photo!
Post # 14
I have heard that washing with soap is even more effective if done with cold water instead of hot (seems counter-intuitive!) The hot water will open your pores up making you MORE susceptible!
Post # 15
- Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley
I’ve had it and it sucks. But I found that if I touch it and shower in a few hours after touching it, it doesn’t give me that itchy rash. I’ve also scrubbed all over in the shower when I had PI and it enver spread much past the original rash site (maybe an inch at most).
Post # 16
I stepped on poison ivy once, barefoot. Broke out in an immediate reaction (like 10-15 minutes) washed the area and put on calamine and was okay. This was in south america where the calamine cost a fortune, but it was my uncles fault, HE PUT POISON IVY ON THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE and I was an innocent eight year old running around. Ironically my name is Ivy… and Poison Ivy was the name kids used to tease me with. hahaha But calamine and benadryl will work wonders!