Post # 1
Im just trying to look at my options here for my second son and since i had a csection with the first I can schedule a csection this time or try a vaginal birth (VBAC).
Has anyone out there had a VBAC and is willing to share your experience? Please do, it would be greatly appreciated.
Post # 3
@MizzNickki: I personally have not yet delivered a baby, but I’ve heard several stories of patients doing VBAC. I’d say 20% of the time the stories end well, but more often people end up having to do emergency c-section =( just wanted to share! Best of luck!
Post # 4
There is a user on here who had a homebirth VBAC not too long ago; in case she doesn’t reply, here’s her birth story. Good luck!
Post # 5
I had a VBAC with my second child and I had no problems nor issues whatsoever! I do think it depends on how your c-section was done. There are risks, but like I said no problems at all and I felt wonderful being able to deliver my daughter naturally.
Post # 6
@Mrs. Spring: I was just about the reference amnystik‘s VBAC birth! Great minds!
Post # 7
@Mrs.KMM: You and me, my friend. 🙂
Post # 8
@MizzNickki: I am hoping for a VBAC this time around but after my first appointment with my dr I am not sure if its going to happen. It looks like my previous chart is missing my first birth delivery information. The dr said he is not really comfortable with me pushing if he doesn’t know how I was sewn up from my csection. I totally understand his decision but I am hoping they can get the copy of my delivery from my previous hospital.
Post # 9
@ChuckNorris: The overall success rate of a trial of labour after previous c/s is about 70%; depending on the reason for the first c/s, that may be higher or lower in an individual case. For example, if the first reason was for a breech position (bum first), then your chance of a successful VBAC is about 80%, versus if the reason was for failure to dilate (assuming the appropirate interventions and time frames were involved) then you have a lower than average chance.
Post # 10
@sweetnote10: First off, your previous hospital records will *absolutely* be available to you if you or your doctor request them. Medical records need to be kept for 18 years after the birth.
Second, it is extremely, extremely rare in North America to have a “classical” incision or “T” (which is vertical up and down the abdomen). Almost always the incision is the lower segment “bikini line” (which is much safer for attempting VBAC). Also, if your incision was closed in 2 layers (again, the standard) it is safer than if it was closed in one layer (quite rare).
Post # 11
@cdncinnamongirl: That was exactly his concern on the layers. I am hoping he gets the information he needs, but honestly either way it goes I am just wanting this delivery to be alot calmer than my last.
Post # 12
@sweetnote10: I’m going for a VBAC this time around. But I just wanted to encourage you & to please not base your decision on one doctors opinion. I had to switch doctors to a midwife to help support my decision. After looking at my charts I’m completely safe to try for a VBAC. Double stitched & the correct incesion. YOU CAN DO THIS! Try looking around for a midwife that is based out of a hospital, just for the worst case scenerio….you might need a c-section. My midewifes are based out of the hospital which gives me great relief knowing that I’ll have the best of both worlds! Don’t ever settle with your birth plan, you can also get your hospital records yourself from the hospital, which I’ve heard you can get them quicker that way! Good luck with your journey, I hope you get the birth you deserve this time around! 🙂
Post # 13
I am 6 weeks preggo with #2 and starting to think about a VBAC as well. I am leaning more towards letting the baby decide. Meaning if I go in labor on my own, I will try for the VBAC but if I go overdue like last time, I will opt for the repeat c section. I want to be at least a week overdue before agreeing to be cut again though. I hated recovering from my section and I feel like if I had just waited to go in labor (I was 40w5d) I would have had him naturally.
Post # 14
I am not pregnant again, yet, but I am so badly wanting a VBAC for my next delivery. I am a little afraid, after reading some discouraging articles online, about my OB/GYN not supporting my decision. Anyone else had that fear and/or experience? If so, what did you do?
Post # 15
I had an unmedicated vbac 4 months ago. It was a planned homebirth (hbac) that transferred at 9+ cm to the hospital (nothing serious just the best option at the time). I chose a homebirth vbac because the hospitals in my area have a de facto ban on vbacs and after weighing all the risks (elective repeat vs. vbac vs. hbac) it was clear to me that planning a habc posed the least amount of risk. Even thoug I transferred to a hospital that immediately prepped me for a repeat, I delivered DD before they could get me to the O.R. and still got my vbac. For our next I will again choose a homebirth even though the hospital informed me they are looking to change their policy. Also, I chose to go unmedicated because I did not want ANYTHING hindering my chance at my body’s ability and after extensive research I knew that natural childbirth gave my body it’s best chance at working with baby to have a successful vaginal birth. Like 2 of the lovely pp said you can check out my birth story on the boards. =)
The acog vbac recommendation is that most moms with 1 prior low transverse incision be counseled for vbac. The risk of rupture is low (0.5-0.9%) and in the NIH 2010 consensus did not attribute to any maternal deaths.
The very best vbac resources are:
vbacfacts.com Jen Kamel has put together a WEALTH of information, including her own personal journey from cesarean to hbac.
iCan is a place where you can find local support, doctors, etc… check to find your local chapter.
vbac.com Because I liked the vbac vs. cesarean information they had along with how to better your chances at success
DO YOUR RESEARCH and DO NOT let a doctor dictate your options if you meet candidacy! I advise getting your own operative report so that YOU know what’s in it b/c as sad as it is… Doctors are incredibly inconvenienced when performing vbacs and have a tendency to not give accurate information for their reasons of not supporting them. You can get them from the hospital you had your cesarean at. IF your doctor isn’t supportive… and I mean SUPPORTIVE, not just “allowing you to try”, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! I chose a midwife experienced in vbac b/c I could trust that she had faith in my body’s ability and would only transfer me if I REALLY needed it.
Goodluck ladies =)