Has anyone transfered their drivers license to NY?

posted 4 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
8979 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

@emilygrace07:  Proof of name would be a wedding license and proof of birth would be a birth certificate. I think a birth certificate will also act as proof of name since it would have your maiden (Or correct if you didn’t change your name) name on it.

Post # 5
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Hyperventilate:  +1

I moved out of NY due to fiancee’s job. Needed same documents here: SS card, old license, birth certificate. And I am aware marriage license serves as proof of name change.

Post # 6
7704 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

@emilygrace07:  be careful with the DMV.  in Maryland, my marriage licence wasn’t sufficient, though it worked fine for SSA.  i had to go back to the courthouse to get a certified copy with the raised seal. 

call them to verify what documents you need.


Post # 9
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@emilygrace07:  I just changed to a NY drivers license.  I used: old NJ drivers license, birth certificate, debit card (with NY address), and health insurance card.  I also brought last year’s tax return just in case.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors