Has your pet been hospitalized? How much did it cost?

posted 5 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
1077 posts
Bumble bee

My pup had to have heart surgery a few years ago, and it was quite expensive (2-3K), but I would hardly call that a typical cost. If you call the hospital they should be able to give you a quote! 

Post # 4
Member
165 posts
Blushing bee

My dog had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and had to be hospitalized on a Friday night to Sun morning. IVs, antibiotics, lab work. It cost us $1000, but that was because it was an emergency (weekend) animal hospital. We had no choice or the poor thing would have died before Monday. He is doing very well now!

If the hospitalization had been done during the week at a our regular vet the cost would have been much cheaper.

The animal hospital was very good about sharing the potential costs with us before they treated him.

Hope this helps.

Post # 5
Member
11327 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

My cat has been hospitalized twice. At my regular vet’s office the fee is $35/day just for staying + whatever treatment he got. He was there 3 days (2 nights) including 1 full day in an oxygen chamber and various meds and I think it was somewhere around $375. 

But then I took him to the E-Vet once because he needed a blood transfusion and he had to stay overnight there (just 1 night, total of like 16 hours) and for the overnight + oxygen chamber + blood transfusion it was like $1200. Ouch. 

So I think it really varies based on the vet and what is getting done.

Post # 6
Member
5663 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

This tends to be pretty pricey, at least 1k+. It’s worth the discussion with your vet regarding outcomes and if this will be worth the cost and the pain to your poor baby in the end. I’m so sorry to read that she’s not doing better 🙁

Post # 7
Member
924 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Like @djoann958 we just had to use the emergency vet over the weekend.  Saturday evening through Monday evening in ICU was $1000.  It would have been a little less had it not occured after 6 on a Saturday.  I also question if ICU was neccessary for the second night, but there’s not much I can do about it.

Post # 9
Member
1038 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Our lab had to be brought into an animal hospital in the middle of the night while we were camping a few weeks ago because he had  eaten a bunch of wild mushrooms and was vomiting and drooling continuously.  He stayed the rest of Friday night and we didn’t pick him up until we were leaving our campsite on Sunday afternoon.  Cost us $900. He needed bloodwork, iv fluids, meds, charcoal to empty his stomach completely of any mushrooms.

 

 

So if you have a dog….be VERY careful about any wild mushrooms…they can be DEADLY to your dog.  Vet told us he would have likely died if we had not brought him in.

Post # 10
Member
1038 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

On top of the daily cost they charge they will charge you for placing the iv and for the fluids used.  Also if your dog is dehydrated they will need to run bloodwork(which seems to be around $100-200 anytime our dogs have needed bloodwork). 

 

When we brought our lab in they gave us an estimated cost as they were checking him in.  We had to sign a paper saying we were aware of the estimated costs and we were ok with proceeding with treatment.  There was a $165 charge as well since we came in the middle of the night.

Post # 11
Member
5663 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

@moonadea:  It’s not all about the cost 🙂 A lot of times it seems that when a pet has to be hospitalized or needs emergency surgery they don’t make it long term. It’s about quality of life and what is best for the pet. Which just also happens to be relative to the cost associated with the pet’s quality of life. Trust me, i get it, I have had dogs my whole life, we have our third family golden retriever now and both times I clearly remember both previous dogs dying. The first one (I was 12) had surgery to remove a tumor. I can’t even imagine how much it cost my parents. When they brought him home I remember watching him lay around in pain with his shaved belly. The last day I saw him he couldn’t stop shaking. It was so sad, I always remember how sad it was. The second one also had a tumor (part of having a golden I guess :). Once we found out this one needed surgery or would die, and even if he had surgery he wouldn’t live all that long/have a good quality of life. we let him go. We spoiled the crap out of him until the day we just knew it was time. At least that one I can look back on and remember that his last few days were joyous.

You just have to do what is best for your baby, and for your heart. 

Post # 12
Member
5109 posts
Bee Keeper

@moonadea:  I don’t think that would cost too much.

My pup has cost us a small fortune… We love her so it’s okay =) Miss Mo was hospitalized for 14 days, costing 4500 after several procedures trying to save her life. Well, she lived, and has since gotten herself into loads of trouble!

One night, we came home to bakers chocolate on the floor – we weren’t sure if she ate any, but to be on the safe side, we went to the vet. She got fluids via subcutaneous route and also received activated charcoal to block any absorption of anything. The subQ fluids thing was weird, she had a little hump on her back for hours! But it was much cheaper than admitting her for an IV. ABout $200 I think? I would definitely ask about doing that if you are worried about dehydration =)

Post # 12
Member
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 1998

My pug was hospitalized for 3.5 days  for pancreatitis and the bill was $4200

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors