Having weird allergic?? reaction to solid gold ring? (PIC)

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
Member
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I get a similar rash/itchiness in the winter if I wear my rings, get my hands wet and don’t dry underneath my rings thoroughly.

I would tell him to stop wearing the ring until his finger is completely healed, then try again (and to make sure he dries under the ring after he washes his hands, etc).

Post # 3
Member
1193 posts
Bumble bee

It could be a nickel allergy; its actually fairly common. Nickel is used in a lot of white gold alloys. You can check with Zales and see if their white gold contains nickel.

 

Post # 4
Hostess
9919 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

Lily_of_the_valley:  it’s probably nickel.  White gold isn’t pure gold, it can’t be – that’s what makes it white.  A yellow gold rink won’t be PURE gold, even 24k usually has some impurities and it’s super soft making it a poor choice for most jewellery.

I’d take it to Zales and have them look at it – was it Rhodium plated when you got it?  Is it possible it wasn’t and he’s reacting to the Rhodium plating?

Post # 5
Member
8706 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Since it’s itchy and peeling I’d assume a nickel allergy.

Post # 6
Member
164 posts
Blushing bee

I’m with the others, probably a nickel allergy. It’s unlikely from the rhodium, since it’s considered to be hypoallergenic like platinum, but I guess it’s still possible. It’s a shame if your Zales rep didn’t explain that there’s no such thing as pure white gold. It has to be alloyed with something for strength.

I’m curious as to why he didn’t react to it before. Normally I would think your DH wore off the original rhodium plating, exposing the skin to the nickel in the white gold, but you just got it redipped. It’s possible the second dipping wasn’t done properly and the nickel is being exposed to the skin.

Long term wise, unless Zales pays for getting it redipped multiple times a year, it might be worth getting it remade in something that won’t react to your DH, like platinum or titanium

Post # 7
Member
307 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Lily_of_the_valley:  possible the nickel im allergic to it and get a similar reaction same with rose gold now yellow gold doesnt do it to me also you can look into platinum and palladium for him as those are hypoallergenic metals. 

Post # 8
Member
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Nickel allergys can take a while to show up. Given that he wore it, sent it to be replated and now it’s happening that could be it.  Like a bee allergy, people are usasualy stung the first time and they are fine then it gives a reaction.  

And it’s not solid gold, it’s half gold and half other white metals and at a mall store it’s going to be nickel. I wouldn’t trust the sales people they have no clue about jewelry.  

Post # 9
Member
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Yep, looks like an allergy. Same thing happens to my fingers when I wear gold rings! My e-ring is palladium. My FI’s is titanium, which is also extremely hypoallergenic. I believe tungsten is, too. And they are both much cheaper than gold.

Post # 10
Member
2042 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 1995

it could be the gold content or the alloys added to it or it could be a rash from moisture getting under the ring and not being dried off. Tell him to use benadryl cream on the rash as it will heal quite quickly and then check with your jeweler on the contents of the room or on sizing it down so that there is no room for moisture to sit under

Post # 11
Member
467 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2003

Looks like a nickle allergy or, if you don’t take your rings off to wash your hands, soap and lotion gets trapped underneath and causes eczema.  Use a hydrocortizone cream to see if the rash clears up.  Before you change out your rings to platinum, you can get a skin allergy nickle test to determine if you are actually allergic to nickle (or a different metal).  Also, take your rings off when you wash your hands, and make sure they are thoroughly dried before putting your rings on.  And lastly, if your rings are too tight, that too can cause a rash.  

Post # 12
Member
532 posts
Busy bee

Agree the other other posters that it is likely an allergy. Be aware that it is possible to become allergic to both nickel and copper. I am allergic to both! Palladium (from MoissaniteCo) has been a godsend for me. Your bf may want to try palladium…

Post # 13
Member
1691 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Lily_of_the_valley:  It’s a nickel allergy. On another note, if he ever has surgery that requires a metal implant, make sure he lets the doc know.

Post # 14
Member
558 posts
Busy bee

Lily_of_the_valley:  As a child I could only wear yellow gold earrings due to allergies, my mom used to paint the stud of the other non-gold earrings with clear nail varnish and it worked perfectly. I would suggest you get treatment for the allergic reaction and while that heals put a couple of coats of clear nail varnish on the inside of his ring and let it dry completely before wearing it again and if the nail varnish wears of just give it a coat again…

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors