Post # 1
My new husband and I recently ran into some money issues over the last few months because the start up company he works for has failed to pay him for the last 3 months. We’ve been squeaking by and I was in charge of the honeymoon. The day of the wedding my FI came to me and told me he didnt have the money to pay for hair,makeup etc. the rest of the vendors that would needed to be paid the day of. I paid for this out of my money from my start up company. Yesterday, we opened all of our gifts and received $5,900. The majority from his parents and about $900 from my side of the family. I have already paid $1200 for the plane tickets and $1600 for hotel deposit. I spent all my cash to cover the wedding and he wants to keep all of the cash we received from the wedding to pay the bills as hes unsure when he’ll be getting paid. We have 2 car payments and a mortage and those are major expenses. Im just having a hard time canceling the honeymoon this late in the game as Ive been looking forward to it and saving so much for the past year. We are supposed to leave on Saturday and the flight is non-refundable as well as the deposit, please let me know what you bees think I should do…Im so mad but, I dont feel like I have the right to be…
Post # 3
I wouldn’t cancel it.
You will be losing a lot of money too- might as well have one “hoorah” before you start budgeting like crazy. Maybe not the best advice, but that is what I would do!
Post # 4
How much is left to pay for the hotel? I would still go since your flights are non refundable. And you’ve already spent close to 3k on it. Maybe you can switch to a cheaper hotel?
Post # 5
Well it sounds like a lose-lose situation and I am really sorry for all your troubles. I do hope that the wedding was a ray of light in an otherwise gloomy time money wise.
I am wondering if you can perhaps get vouchers for future use for both the hotel and flight? That way you can postpone your trip until things are a bit more solid financially.
Post # 6
Well if I were going to lose $2800 by cancelling it then I sure would still be going!
Post # 7
If you end up losing the money anyways, might as well go… Depending on how much more you have to shell out once over there.
Post # 8
@Luxuryshoegal88: I agree… cancelling it would mean losing $2800.00… might as well take the trip amd just cut corners on what you do while on your trip
Post # 9
Awww I am sorry. That’s a sticky situation. So you will be throwing $2,800 out the door if you don’t go? Where is it that you are supposed to go? Is it somewhere where you can affordably feed yourselves and just relax and do minimal activites etc. that won’t cost too much? It sounds like the break would do you both a world of good if you can manage to swing it financially. I hope you can make it, fingers crossed for you!
Post # 10
I know it’s disappointing, but if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. Did you have any idea things were this bad financially? It just sounds like maybe your husband hasn’t been telling you the whole truth about the money situation for fear of disappointing you. I mean, telling you “Hey we can’t afford all this stuff” the DAY of your wedding? That’s just completely irresponsible.
I’m not trying to be negative, but the biggest problem here is definitely not having to skip your honeymoon… it sounds like you should be saving everything you can right now, NOT spending. Going on a vacation right now when he’s not even sure when he’s getting paid next (which is also a huge problem, how is he getting that taken care of?) would be a huge mistake. Unless there’s absolutely no way to get your money back, I’d try to work with the travel companies and work something out… or downgrade.
Post # 11
Are your flights/hotel refundable? If you’ve already spent nearly $3000 on the honeymoon that you can’t get back, I say just go, but maybe try not to stay as long, or spend as much? But if you can get your money, back, it might be wise to just plan a local long weekend, instead of a vacation.
Post # 12
I agree with KatyElle. Any chance he’ll be getting paid soon? If not, I’d skip the honeymoon. Not only would you be in the hole because of it, but he’ll probably have to be looking for another job.
Post # 13
Trip vs. Car and Mortgage Payments? This sounds like a no-brainer to me! Spending money you don’t have on a vacation instead of being conservative and saving every penny to pay for upcoming bills is not a good way to start a marriage.
Your husband sounds very responsible, and I applaud him. There will be plenty of time over the next 50+ years to take a trip, but loosing your cars or house will set you behind for life….
Post # 14
Do not cancel it! You need it.
Post # 15
Is the hotel deposit just a portion of the full hotel balance? Usually you get 72 hours to cancel your hotel reservation without a penalty. I would call the hotel and see what their policy is. I would also try calling the airline and try to cancel the tickets. You might lose some money but at least you’ll be able to get some back.
I know it sucks but it sounds like you’re in pretty serious financial trouble, especially with liquidity, and this really isn’t the time to start going on vacation. Every dollar you spent, no matter how frugally, is money away from your house and car, which is much more important. Good luck with everything.
Post # 16
If everything is paid for then I don’t understand why you wouldn’t go. Do you expect to spend alot more when you get there?