He wants to return the $800 All Clad set we just got

posted 3 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I would try to talk him into it…mostly because we got that set from my mom and I LOVE it!

Post # 4
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

Good pots and pans will last forever! You should definitely keep them. Isn’t it a bit rude to return a gift from his mother for cash, anyway? I’d be pissed if I were her.

Post # 5
1768 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

My FI has a very strict “never return anything” self imposed policy, so I have no advice. BUT, my advice would be to just sit him down and say “yo dude, our pots are crap, your mom obviously wanted us to have these, and what are you going to buy with $800 at Macys/Crate and Barrel/wheverever anyway?”.  And if that doesn’t work, have him cook something very delicate, like a hollandaise sauce, in your current pans and cook one in the new ones. His mind will be changed. FWIW, my FI initially thought All-Clad cost too much…and then he used one to heat up a can of soup. They’re like cooking with baby Jesus or something. It’s magical.

Post # 6
454 posts
Helper bee

his mom is gonna wonder where the pans are when she visits!!! which is gonna be AWKWARD

Post # 7
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@skippydarling:  Yes x20, talk him into it! If you cook most of your meals at home, its totally worth it. You are going to have to upgrade in a year anyways if you return it… and if you buy a cheaper set, you will replace it much more often and it will end up costing you more than the $800 over a life time. Somebody bought us a $400 cookware set and we exchanged it for a more expensive one (and we paid for the difference!!)

Post # 9
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I would be over the moon if someone bought me that set!!! I would never return it!!

Post # 11
3664 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

KEEP THEM . They are awesome! I did a lot of research on All-Clad and most things I read found no huge differences between the stainless and the copper  core (besides the price of course).

Post # 12
1416 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Omg keep them! They will last forever. Just promise to cook him lots of food 😉 

Post # 13
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Keep them!  They last a lifetime.  That is an incredibly generous gift that you will use forever.

Post # 14
295 posts
Helper bee

Dude. He needs some sense snacked into him. I HATE having to cook with SO’s pot and pan set because we have some all clad at home. I agree with @StL.Ashley:  it’s like cooking with baby Jesus.

ETA: lol my phone autocorrected “smacked” to “snacked” but I think it’s still appropriate so I’m leaving it!

Post # 16
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Yeah, I’d talk to him about it. My fi would certainly understand.. but you’ll need to find a way for your fi to be on board.

Maybe mention as the PP did – it would be rude to give them back and ask for cash. And it sounds like this is something that his mother does for each couple.. so pretty much a tradition for her.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors