(Closed) Help

posted 5 years ago in January 2014
Post # 4
92 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Start a binder and label each section (ceremony, reception, photography, dj, cake, florist, decorations, etc.) I started with tearing out magazine inspiration pics and putting them into the binder. The first thing you should book though is your ceremony/reception site(s). Start researching and reaching out – you shouldn’t rush this choice but the venues fill up FAST so start ASAP.

Hope this helps:)

Post # 6
1622 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

There’s a very comprehensive planning guide on theknot that was helpful to me when I was just starting out. You need to join the site first, but it’s free to join.

Here it is: http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning-tools/tools-wedding-checklist.aspx

If you’ve already got a date, the next thing I would do is find a venue, then if it’s not included in the venue, a caterer and a photographer.  But like I said, that checklist above is very comprehensive.

Good Luck!

Post # 7
887 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

The first thing you should do is figure out your budget – how much money do you have saved, how much have you confirmed will be gifted, i.e. from parents who may help pay for the wedding. Decide how involved these sources of potential money will want to be in organizing, and whether their plans will be at odds with your plans, which may influence your budget (i.e. if you want control over your wedding rather than more money for it). Once you’ve figured out your budget, figure out your guest list. Once those 2 things are done, the next thing you should figure out is who will perform your ceremony, if they are available on your date, and if you need to do anything between now and then in order for them to be willing to do it (i.e. marriage counselling for some religions). Then you need to figure out your ceremony and reception venues, since these often book up way ahead of time. Other things that book up quick are caterers and photographers. You may need to be flexible on your date, depending on how badly you want certain venues or other vendors. 

You’ve got plenty of time. We planned our wedding in 8 months (2 months of which were total write-offs because of how busy we were), and it went great! Everything went according to plan. 

Post # 9
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@MangoLover4Life:  yes first thing is your budget ! Then go look at venues def start you a binder ! After you determine your budget & venue it all kinda comes together ! Don’t stress too much you have plenty of time 🙂

Post # 11
28 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: January 2014

Budget and venue are definitley inmportant but before you can even consider a venue you need to know the approximate size of your guest list. You don’t want to fall in love with a venue that’s too small/too big. Then budget, again don’t want to love a venue that’s out of your price range. Once you have those two things down, next for me was venue and after that everything started falling into place. Once you have a venue you will know what type of wedding you want, formal, country, vintage ect. Or if you know the type of wedding you want then it’ll be easier to look at venues so that the venue matches the feel/style of wedding you’re going for. 

Good Luck 🙂

Post # 12
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

I was in the exact same situation! We got engaged on Christmas Day of 2011 and I just started planning for my January 2014 wedding! The whole time I had searched Pinterest up and down and changed my mind numerous times. With that being said I’m so glad I waited so long to finally put things into action! I started with how much we wanted to spend first off. Then I realized I needed to pick a location. Though I haven’t put my deposit down to hold the date I am 99% sure on the location. I’ve also got my guest list done and I des died the # of guest I wanted beforehand! I also purchased my dress 2 weeks ago along with my veil, hand piece, and belt. Hope that helped some!

The topic ‘Help’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors