Help!

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1548 posts
Bumble bee

@mrsellix:  I’d maybe wait a little longer so u cn hav ur dream wedding but if nothing materializes in x amount of time then just do a vow renewal 

Post # 4
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Is there a way for you two (your husband and yourself) to help his family come over, like subsidize their air fare/buy their plane tickets and have them stay in your home (no hotel)? Then you could proceed with the vow renewal like you want and can wear the dress no problem because it sounds to me like the only reason you’re changing the celebration from a vow renewal to a dancing celebration for your love is that his family cant afford to come. 

It would add a bit to your overall budget, but if you really really want his family there, it sounds like you will have to help them out with expenses. That’s what I’d do 🙂

Goodluck, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Post # 6
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

hm. how about *your* family? are they helping you pay for the vow renewal? Would they be willing to help bring his family over? aunts,uncles, grandparents, etc? Maybe you could get a loan? I wouldnt recommend that though unless you’re desperate.

If it is literally impossible to eke out any funds (even a couple hundred dollars might help), then I would personally wait and build a bigger budget so I *could* bring his family over. Honestly i think it would be odd to have such a party with no… reason (because your husband says he doesnt want to renew his vows without his family present, so it wouldnt bea vow renewal), you know? Like a vow renewal warrants a party, but this party is just that, a party, and i i think guests might be a little confused, like what exactly are they celebrating? plus i think it would be more special if you could celebrate with all your family, not just one side. But thats just me and what i would do in your situation, and you should do what you want! 🙂

Have you paid deposits and such yet?

Post # 7
1082 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Weddings/vow renewals/parties mean a whole lot less IMO if your family are not there to celebrate and clearly your SO feels the same way When we got married we sacrificed on the venue and guest list in order to help his parents fly across the world to be there. For me it was out of the question to do it without them and we knew they couldn’t afford it. 

How many people from your family could afford a trip to England? Can you have your wedding there instead? It seems a bit weird to me to have a party for “no reason” if you’re cancelleing the vow renewal part. Isn’t that just spending your already small wedding budget on a party?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors