(Closed) Help! Big gap between ceremony & reception…

posted 10 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2007

That’s a tough one. If my mom & I were coming to your wedding we’d spend the 3 hours in Fortunoff’s but that’s not much help to you.

Right now the only thing that is coming to mind is if you could somehow get your guests to congregate in a place that has coffee, tea, small cakes, etc (without necessarily renting out a starbucks)- just something to tide them over until the reception and doesn’t require too much effort on their part since they will be dressed up. 

Post # 4
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I have a 2 hour gap between my ceremony and the start of my reception.  Because we have a lot of out of town guests and the hotel is closer to the reception site than the church, we are encouraging people to use this time to check in.  There is also a bar in the hotel as well as one at the reception site where my dad plans to open a tab before the cocktail hour officially starts.

Another option is to have someone who lives in the area host a small reception at their home for those who do not live in the area.  This is a good opportunity for someone who isn’t in your wedding party to be a part of your day.

Post # 5
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008
Post # 6
212 posts
Helper bee

i don’t know LI that well so I can’t help you out there.

there’s been some other posts about a time gap on these boards so you may want to read those threads.  my experience is with a gap, people will usually skip out on the ceremony, so prepare yourself for that.  also, if a lot of your guests are local, some may just choose to go home for a few hours – i’ve done that before.

Post # 7
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Anytime I attend a wedding with a gap, a bunch of my old friends and I spend the time at a nearby bar. It’s always an improv thing and nobody ever minded.

Post # 8
22 posts
Newbee

In my experience, local guests will go home to get ready for the reception and OOT guests will use the time to check in to hotel, get ready, and informally gather amongst themselves in the hotel lobby/bar.  I don’t think you need to worry about making any formal plans… we LI-ers can usually easily entertain ourselves.  😉

Post # 10
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

scavenger hunt??  ok i’m kidding…

is there another area in your reception venue that will offer coffee/tea/fruit but not too much so as to ruin appetites for dinner??

im useless with advice – i’ve only ever been to the city and then albany so i’m so not familiar with your area to give you any good suggestions…

Post # 11
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I’m not sure what kind of city Glen Cove is like, but here’s my suggestion: 

I’m making my guests a map of attractions. It’ll show them famous stores, movie theatres, museums and the like. 🙂 Pretty much a map of the downtown area of the city we’re getting married in.

Of the guests that do know of my plan, they love it. 🙂

And if it helps to know, my ceremony ends at 2:30 p.m., and the reception starts at 5 p.m.

Post # 12
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

Get a couple good friends to offer to lead various outings – one to take people on a walking tour, one to take people to a bar, etc.  Pick a few activities that people will want to do all dressed up!

Post # 13
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

I have been to a few weddings (catholic usually!) that have the big gap. And to be honest I don’t think its your responsibility to entertain me.

1) Some people will choose to skip the ceremony

2) Some will go home

3) Some will run to the local mall– errands etc

If you know the area you could have a little list of "area attractions" Malls, movie theatres, local parks, coffee shops– really the time will fly by so don’t worry about it

Post # 14
236 posts
Helper bee

Perhaps you could suggest a visit to a local arboretum and provide the name of a local cafe or tea shop where they can get a nice snack.  If you suggest places that you visit as a couple you could include little notes about the places (Joe’s Bakery – Mike thinks the shortbread is divine but Susie thinks the cream puffs are out of this world. or We had our first date here.)

I also don’t think that the scavenger hunt idea is such a bad one.  You could offer prizes at the end.  (maybe that is how you decide who takes the flowers home or perhaps a differnt favor.  Send them to places that you have been (preferably with no entrance fee) and have them pickup a picture of the two of you taken at the at place (perhaps saying how the place plays a part in your relationship.)  Since this brings in business the shops may be very cooperative in having astack of pictures at thier counter for the wedding guests.  You could then have small albums (simple homemade would do) for people to put the pictures in as favors for the wedding.  People will then have pictures of you as a couple.  You could even have someone take a picture right after the ceremony and then go to a one hour place and have pictures printed up as the final scavenger hunt picture to be picked up at the reception.  Don’t make it a timed thing but a comleteness thing.  Perhaps about 5 places excluding the reception hall.  You could even have the hunt be en route to the reception site so that it’s all on the way.

Post # 16
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

Lotus – I think it is great you are thinking about this.  I went to a wedding with a 2 hour gap and there was no mention of what we might do.  We ended up stiting in Starbucks all dressed up, very bored.    It would have been great had my friend done *anything* ahead of time to give us an idea of what we might do with ourselves!!  So, it doesn’t have to be elaborate, or take a lot of time, just the fact that you are thinking about your guests will be appreciated!

The topic ‘Help! Big gap between ceremony & reception…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors