(Closed) Help! Can I do a wedding + dinner reception for 100 guest for under 10k

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
421 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I don’t know  what prices are like in Ottawa, but my wedding was around 7k for a little less than 100 guests and I think it was amazing! 

We saved costs by cooking our own food (and it was probably the most complimented part about the wedding–my mom and her friends cooked it and were awesome), DIYing the decorations, and using “friendors.” It worked great for us, but understandably isn’t an option for everyone.

Post # 4
1124 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Definately doable. We have over 100 guests and our budget is under $6000 and things are tight but they are coming together.

Having it outdoors helps, especially if it’s in a garden or something so you don’t have to pay too much on decorations.

Look for deals. Our rental company for chairs and tables have old chairs. We’re going rustic so it doesn’t matter. But either way, they have these chairs they have had for a long time and they clean the chairs with bleach. The are tinged very slightly yellow, even though you can’t tell at all unless they are next to something really white, and we are getting them 1/2 off.

Talk to friends, family. There are lots of people that can help. Even if they aren’t giving anything for free, discounts really work, and most people are happy to help out for a wedding.

Shop around, don’t settle for the first quote. You can almost always find something cheaper.

Online shopping! For lots of things! You can get GREAT deals on so much by going online.

And don’t forget to DIY what you can, it really saves costs.

Happy planning, don’t stress. It will all come together

Post # 6
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@needshelpplanning:  I think it is doable depending on where you live especially if you do a lot of things yourself like the flowers and decor. Don’t know how crafty you are but I have seen a lot of beautiful weddings under 10K. And also I would do a lot of research on costs, shop vendors and venues. And take some shortcuts like instead of getting a whole entire wedding cake, do a small wedding cake with fake layers and serve up sheet cake people won’t be able to tell the difference! =) And you could also do DIY invitations and Save-the-Dates. I think the thing that costs the most with weddings is food and photography! It just sucks up your budget! Good luck and happy planning! =)

Post # 7
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I live in Ottawa and am getting married in Wakefield QC in October. I only looked at two venues, but you should look at Strathmere and Orchid View. Those venues will probably be afforable, especially if you would consider a Sunday wedding. Also, if you don’t have a big budget for your dress try David’s Bridal at trainyards. You should be able to find an afforable dress there. Let me know if you have any other quetions 🙂

Post # 8
449 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Definitly. Ours is closer to $4000 for 100 or so people. Now its not the crazy mega party I imagined, but it fits in our budget and will still be fun!

Post # 9
533 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think you can, you might just have to think a little outside the box. Look for an inexpensive venue- or a free one. At lots of places you can get a steep discount for doing it on a Friday or Sunsay.

I definitely recommend you add a reserve fund of $1k or so into your wedding fund that you dont plan on spending. It is really easy to go over budget on something, so if you kept your budget at $9k with $1k just in case, it could help you stay under budget.

The topic ‘Help! Can I do a wedding + dinner reception for 100 guest for under 10k’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors