Post # 1
Hey guys–I would love honest opinions here…this is my situation, in a nutshell:
I have a wedding date set for 12/3/11. My FI and I are considering moving it up to 10/15/11 due to pure impatience! (and thinking a bit nicer weather/away from holiday season and away from Xmas bday). Vendors and bridal party are all available on the Oct. date, so I am leaning towards it.
However, 1 of 2 of the best men has a wife who will be unable to attend due to a work obligation she must attend. We are friends, and we def. have hung out before, but she is obviously not as close to me as my other friends are.
Her saying she cannot attend has made me wonder if there are other guests who will have also made obligations too (even though I thought mid October would be a pretty ‘safe’ time, when kids are back to school, things are back to normal and people really aren’t vacationing…)
So, I’m wondering of my options which are:
1. Save everything for the 12/3 date
2. Reschedule wedding for 10/15 date
3. Have legal ceremony a few weeks prior to 12/3 date, so that is our anniversary, officially…then stick to 12/3 date for ceremony and reception for all to see.
PLEASE TELL ME YOUR HONEST THOUGHTS ON THIS SITUATION! Thanks so much!
Post # 3
Honestly, I think the month and a half is not that much to wait. Believe me – my wedding is in 1 MONTH and I would almost like a little extra time. The only other big thing I can think of is depending on your location, could you be having winter weather in December? I’m in WI, so that’s definitely a concern! But if you are further south, it may not be an issue to worry about.
Otherwise I would just leave it – you’ll end up being grateful for the extra time and then the BM’s wife can attend.
Post # 4
I’m in New Jersey, so the beginning of December is chilly, and does get dark out a bit earlier, but it’s not cold enough to snow yet…
There are good and bad things about changing the date and keeping the date! It’s a little stressful but I’m not letting it get the best of me, though I do need to figure this out sooner than later.
If I chose October, there’d be more light outside to take pictures and it would be out of the holiday season…
Post # 5
You haven’t sent out save the dates or made any other announcements about the date, right? If that’s the case, I say change it if you want to. October is still a long way off; it’s not like you’re changing the date to June.
As for your best man’s wife–there are going to be people who can’t attend no matter what date you choose. Choose the day that makes the most sense for you.
Post # 6
you sound like you really just want approval to switch the date– have you already sent out save the dates for the old date? I’d say if no one knew your old date, then it’s fine to change, but if you’ve already sent out the STDs then you’re out of luck.
Post # 7
Everyone is right…
Unfortunately I did send the STD’s for the old date. I do believe if I did decide to change the date, people would understand. I would call everyone andexplain the situation. There was a cancelation for the October date and our manager of the venue hall is offering us a great price, so that’s why Oct. is so tempting in addition to my above reasons…
I think family and friends would understand, but I do feel like an idiot for sending out STD’s, then changing the date.
Post # 8
If it were me, and save the dates were already out, i’d just stick with the original. I think it would be somewhat inconvenient for your guests who you told to save the date – that’s the point – to save it!
But if the price change is a big difference, I might also consider it. I hate winter and would not want to get married when it is that cold, so October does sound better. But, some of the other bees are right – you may want that extra month and a half. I’m in an 9-month engagement and time is FLYING by. I’d be stressing if I had to move everything up 1.5 months.