HELP! Disposable cameras… too 1990's?

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
Hostess
4941 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@honeyhalo:  I think cameras on tables are an AWESOME idea! You can do i-Spy for cocktail hour. Something like this. 🙂

PS- I don’t ever want to see you use that awful “T” (tacky) word ever again! If you think it’s a good idea, it’s certainly not stupid or anything of the sort. 

Post # 4
56 posts
Worker bee

Yeah a bit dated in my opinion

Post # 6
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I think its a great idea!

I dont kmow about you but you cant beat a good old film camera. Everyone (myself included) has digital cameras, and I always say I will get the pics printed off and never do! They just sit there on the camera and eventually you delete some as youve ran out of memory.

I will be doing disposable cameras as I know ill get them printed

Xxx

Post # 7
761 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I don’t think it’s stupid or tacky at all. It’s one of those things that sounds like fun, but honestly, it’s not worth the money. Disposable cameras have a flash that only works in close distance. Most of the photos in such low light as a typical wedding venue, come out dark and grainy. Or you get those obnoxious shots that are too close for comfort, or the silly selfies, where the flash went off in their face, and it’s all overexposed. If your wedding happens to be outdoors, then you could get some fun shots.

I work for a company that does photo printing. We charge $5 to develop the film, and then .79 cents per image that is printed. A full roll of film costs around $15-$17, depending on how many exposures on the rolls. If you do that for a lot of cameras, that adds up. I’ve seen my share of duds when it comes to disposeables at events. 🙁

Post # 8
10748 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

What about setting up one of those photo sharing apps? Then people can use their better quality smartphones, which they’re probably already taking pictures on. 

Post # 9
6644 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I wouldn’t do it, it is dated and half the time you won’t get good pictures and it is going to cost you a lot of money to just have them devloped. I would do just a photo sharing website.  Most people have some type of camera either cell phone or other along for a wedding. 

Post # 13
7098 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I think those mini polaroid cameras are cool, but just a regular film camera you have to develop is a little meh. I had a friend do this (well, 10 years ago) and they spent a fortune developing the film for a lot of blurry, ugly, bathroom, down the pants, horrible shots lol.

Post # 14
6279 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

@honeyhalo:  there are plenty of free apps available to upload pictures and then you can have a digital copy for the future.  i am using wedpics.

Post # 15
1582 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@christinamarie980: That’s an interesting point that I haven’t heard anybody make before–thanks! 🙂 I was considering doing something like this instead of a DSLR DIY photobooth, but now I’m leaning back to that idea.

Post # 16
528 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’ve heard they make disposable digital cameras and I think that could work, but I wouldn’t use film (if they make those anymore). Film developing seems unreliable these days (the last role I got developed didn’t turn out due to poor processing) and it’s one more cost on top of buying the cameras. Plus with film you might get 2-3 pics off each role that are worth keeping. With digital your guests can delete bad photos, ensuring you get more useable pics. 

You could also DIY a photo booth. You would need a tripod, digital camera with timer/auto function, and a backdrop. Just make sure you use a memory card with a lot of storage so it doesn’t get full halfway through the night. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors