Post # 1
We are so close to buying a house which we hope to close on next week. We just got our home inspection done and asked the seller for a small credit to get some work done after the closing. Since the weather is cold and snowy, it is not realistic to do the majority of the work now so we feel like this isreasonable, we also don’t feel like we asked for a lot, credit is about 1% of purchase price. Our mortgage just got approved yesterday and everything is in place, we just need the seller to accept our request and the wait is killing me. Those of you who have been ther, help me out, did you ask for anything after your house inspection? Did the seller grant what you asked or counter or walk away? Tell me your stories to take my mind off the waiting please.
Post # 3
We spent a lot of time countering with our seller when we bought our house post inspection. We had a window that needed to be replaced. It was a large one, and we just wouldn’t have had the money to replace it after closing. There were other things that we wanted two, but this was the big one. We were really close to walking because they kept saying that they would “fix it, but not replace it.” We told them replace it or we walk. There was no way it could be fixed, it had to be replaced. Anything that they would have called a “fix” would have been a cosmetic thing and could not have actually addressed the problem.
I spent a good half hour crying to my FI about it, but they finally did it. With just about 24 hours before we would have walked.
Post # 4
Did you get estimates from a contractor or just ask them to remedy the problem? I am afraid they will tell us to get a contractor to provide estimates and I really do not want to delay the closing any longer.
Post # 5
@VanillaNut: We just made them remedy the problem. We bought out house in August, so it was easy enough to do at that point. We were also a month out from our closing. I’m sure with your closing date being so soon, they will be much happier to negociate.
Post # 6
We made the previous owner fix a whole list of things before we moved in. She accepted most of them, refused to fix one minor thing, and voila, all was set when we moved in.
Well, that’s a lie. Some stuff wasn’t done by the time our walk-through happened. Our realtor took note and all of the money she was supposed to pay for the fixes was held by the settlement attorney until we approved that it actually had been done. No skin off my back! She had them there the day we moved in fixing everythinf so she could get her money!
Post # 7
I guess I have good and bad stories.
1. the first house were were gonna buy did not do great in inspection. They found mold in the attic and some cracks in the brick. We started out first saying they needed to get it fixed. They asked for time to get estimates which we gave them. It came back that insurance was gonna fix the mold and foundation wise there was 15k in damage. They were only willing to give us 3k. We walked. We didnt even want to negotiate. The fact that there was a huge mold problem (though it was gonna get fixed) worried us and then that they sent us such a crappy offer we decided we didnt want that house. It was kinda hard but now I couldnt be happier.
2. our second house that we actually did get and I’m sitting in right now haha… inspection went pretty well, the house is 70 years old so we thought there could be issues but our inspector was pretty happy. He pointed a few things out but said that they were expected for the age of the house. The two things that did come up was an issue with coliform in the well and radon in the basement. We said these had to be fixed and they fixed them no issues no questions asked. All the little things we plan to fix down the road ourselves and didnt want to ask for too much being that they were giving us closing costs and fixing the 2 big things.
Post # 8
- Wedding: August 2013 - Rosehill Community Center
We totally asked for money back after the inspection! We got like, $8,000 or so off the final price, because the roof was in bad shape and needed to be replaced and the foundation looked like it was cracked and sinking. We got a roof estimate and had a foundation guy come out (he said it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t the catastrophic foundation issue I thought it might be), so we had rough ideas of the cost. And there were a few other little things that needed replacing.
The previous owners of our house basically just needed it sold, so that helped encourage them to accept that. Their family had far outgrown the house (2 adults and 4 kids, 2 bedrooms and 1 bath? yikes), so they were willing to lower the price a smidge if we’d buy it.
It’s totally scary, though, I hated all the waiting that went on with buying the house! It was like “okay, we want it, can we just move in now?”
Post # 9
- Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall
@VanillaNut: I was so overwhelmed after our inspection, we had concerns that we let our realtor know about but we decided not to make a counter-offer over them because there were several other offers in the house, we could afford the changes, and it was the perfect house for us.
2 years later we are very happy with our decision and love our home 🙂
Hang in there, it is such a stressful process!
Post # 10
Thanks, it helps to hear we are ot alone. Our realtor heard from the seller, she aparently got a contractor to give a bid on one issue and it is $450. She claimed 2 of the other isues (minor water damage and a safety switch) found by our inspector just don’t exist and then offered us $1000 as credit, completely ignoring the 2 issues we think will come in at about 1k each but are ouside. We had asked for 4k and there are no major major problems so in the whole scheme of things it is really just frustrating that we are arguing over a couple thousand on a house that is nearly over 350k. I am just pissed that she didn’t offer 2k credit, I would at least think she was acknowleding the issues in the inspection but she instead claims they don’t exist (e.g. water damage is actually wallpaper with paint). We just agreed to it and asked her to get the contractor’s quote in writing so we could hire him to do the work at that price. Fingers crossed and everything goes smooth so we can close on Monday. The closing date is pretty set since my DH is planning to fly in to sign and needs to do it without missing many work days. If we can’t close on Monday, we will need to ask for a 30 day extension. I wish she would be more motivated to sell since the house has been on the market for a long time. Sorry if that turned into a vent, I guess I am a bit bitter about it at he moment.
Post # 11
@VanillaNut: We asked for our seller to fix 3 major things. Less than a year after moving we had to refix what they did sloppily. I think getting the credit is smart because you will know its done properly.
Post # 12
We’re on the other side of this – just built a custom new house and were trying to sell our old house. We had a closing date for the sale all set and about three days prior to the closing the buyer came up with some additional, expensive demands. We’d already lowered the price on the house to meet her offer and were paying all her closing costs. So we refused her additional demands and put the house back on the market. It’s a very stressful process from both ends – buying and selling.
As a seller I’d advise buyers to be reasonable in your demands because you have to be willing to negotiate if you really want the house. I feel we were being fair, but she was not. If we can’t sell it we’ll end up renting it out.
Post # 13
I’m in the middle of it right now! We had the inspection done and the septic needs to be cleaned out and dug up and a new leech field put in. It has been going on 3 weeks and we are still waiting. I just want to close and move in already!
Post # 14
Well the closing is on, she is giving us half the credit we asked for and fixing nothing but we thought agreeing was better than arguing over a couple of thousand. We are paying closing costs but that was agreed at the beginning. Fingers crossed all goes well on Monday!