(Closed) HELP!!! Guest list is 520, church holds 250.

posted 9 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
2470 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Welp — 520 is a big difference from 250 and for safety reasons, it might be better to change the location. Is your FI okay with that?

Post # 4
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

I would suggest moving to your church.  If you’re saying that your fiance’s church can only hold half the people on your guest list,then I don’t really see that you have a choice.  I think they normally say that 80% come – but in order for your wedding to fit in the smaller church, you need like 55% of them to say no.

So I think you either cut down the list or move to the different church.

Good luck!

Post # 5
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

WOW 520 guests, i couldn’t imagine. I would say look into finding a bigger church and hopefully you can find one that will hold that many people. If not you may have to resort to a outside wedding. You can still get married by a minister outside. Sorry im not much of a help.

Post # 6
69 posts
Worker bee

my guest list is 525 and our church holds about 400 including balcony seating.

I say either find a different venue or cut the guest list.

alot of people skip the ceremony and go just to the reception—maybe that will cut down some people. 

Post # 7
2682 posts
Sugar bee

Just curious, did you know your guest list when you booked the church?  If so, you knew then the maximum so did you just keep adding people or did you already know how many people you were inviting before then.  I know you said you cant cut anyone, but if you kept adding people after you had a pretty good idea of your guests, maybe you can cut the people you added after?

Post # 9
60 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Since your save the dates went out, move to a larger church. The 70 to 80% is what I’ve heard on guest accepting/coming.

Post # 10
2682 posts
Sugar bee

I would say normally to expect 15-20% to now show up, but if they are in the immediate area of your wedding and you dont have alot of out of town guests I would say less would be inclined to not come.  How many does your church hold?  Is it ok with your fiance and families if you move to your church?  Is the date still available?  If its ok and they have the date and enough space, I would definitely move it.  You dont want have the guests not being able to see the ceremony.

Post # 11
1044 posts
Bumble bee

My friend couldn’t invite everyone she wanted to so she had a large party the day before the wedding where she got all her friends gathered to celebrate.  The day after, she had her wedding with closest family and friends.

Post # 12
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2009

WOW!!! 525 ppl is a larger number. I would say move to your church. It will be horrible if all those ppl show up and have no where to sit. I have to ask what kind of menu are you having with that many ppl?

Post # 13
2820 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

If the majority of people are your parents’ in-town friends, I sure hope your parents are paying for what they’ll cost you! Yeesh! (And, by the way, if your parents aren’t paying for them, you are totally allowed to cut them. 520 guests, wow, I can’t even imagine…my guest list is max 80!)

Post # 14
78 posts
Worker bee

I think you definitely have to change the ceremony venue. You just can’t count on half of your guest list not attending.

Post # 16
2641 posts
Sugar bee

Well if you are having a Catholic wedding, I’m guessing you will probably have the Catholic gap.  We did, and there were a bunch of people (who RSVP’d yes,) who only came to the reception.  Still it seems like a lot of people to cram into the church.

As for changing churches, you said you could have it at yours.  Is everyone agreeing to this?  I’m a little confused.  If you are getting married in a Catholic church, you must have precana etc.  That’s a committment.  If I was your FI, I wouldn’t be willing to switch churches.  And if it’s important to him (or even his family, gulp) you might not find it’s that easy.

Have you spoken to FI church about it?  Maybe they have some contingency plan?  Like they do when all the C&E Catholic show up.  I bet they get around 500 then too.  I’ve also heard of some brides inviting people to the reception but not the ceremony, for the same reasons.

The topic ‘HELP!!! Guest list is 520, church holds 250.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors