- 4 years ago
- Wedding: May 2015
Let me start by saying I’m the world’s worst decision maker.
When FI proposed, he said he wanted to go to Vegas and have a private ceremony (just him and I) and I agreed. Then I started pricing out chapels and a decent one costs about $500 for the whole kit and caboodle, but you’re only there for 30 minutes. That bugged me a bit, but I figured it was much, much less than if we were having a wedding locally.
Then, I told my sister about it and she inadvertently told my mother. I planned on telling my mother as she was going to babysit our two toddlers while we were in Vegas and I thought it would be messed up to ask her to watch our kids while we go off and get married without telling her. I just didn’t plan on telling her a whole year out. She began telling me how disappointed she would be if we did this, even if she got to view it live over the internet. She said she respected our decision, but would be totally bummed and I understand that.
Then, my sister showed me a chapel about an hour away that can hold 40 ppl and will do 90 minutes of chapel time, ceremony, flowers, photography (it’s good too), and a cake and champagne reception for $1995. I strongly considered this option, especially since I could customize the ceremony there…until I started a guest list. FI has just recently repaired his relationships with his siblings and I’m worried that if we invite them and they decide not to come since it would be such a short affair, he would be hurt. Also, each of his siblings are married and have several children of their own and I don’t think we could accommodate all of them.
After ripping up the guest list (lol), I took a deep breath and remembered that all FI wanted was a simple ceremony. Our local hall of records has a gorgeous small chapel where we could have a short civil ceremony for $65. I could invite my mom, his mom and our kids. We could get married on a Thursday morning, have brunch, had the kids over to my mom and hit the road to honeymoon in Vegas.
Only problem is…I can’t decide which option is best. Help!!!