(Closed) Help!!! Is 7:30 too late to serve dinner??

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
2765 posts
Sugar bee

Where do you live? I’m in NYC, and 7:30 is kinda early to have dinner!  But it’d be late where I grew up (the suburbs).

Post # 4
46 posts
Newbee

i don’t think so at all.  We’re running on a similar schedule and i just  made sure it was clear in the invites that dinner would be around that time so people should be prepared.  as long as you have apps at the cocktail hour, people will be fine with it.

Post # 5
2205 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

no way is 7:30pm too late!  We ate at 7pm after cocktail hour at my 4:30pm wedding!  I think you can safely start eating at 8 or 8:30 before people become really hungry, but if you have appetizers than it doesn’t really matter how late you serve it, as long as you plan to have a late enough reception that things can happen after dinner.

Post # 6
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

I think it’s perfect! My reception said that Dinner usually starts btw 6:30 – 7:30

Post # 7
2682 posts
Sugar bee

I dont think its too late at all, especially since you are having hors d’ oeuvres also.  The dinner at my wedding started at about 8:30 and no one complained (we had hors d’ oeuvres also)

Post # 8
131 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - Battery Gardens

Most definitely not. Plus you’ve got a cocktail hour, so you’re covered.

Post # 9
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

if you’re serving food at cocktail hour, it’s not too late. to mr bee’s point, it also depends on where you are. in ny 8 would be typical start of prime dinner time.

Post # 10
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

Just so long as there are some decent appetizers with cocktail hour, 730 should be just fine.

Post # 12
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

that is about when ours will be served,so I say no LOL

Post # 14
1022 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I also think it is fine.  Our ceremony is at 6, no cocktail hour and plan for food to be served at 7:30.  I went to a wedding where the first course wasn’t served until 8:30 or 9, but they had hors d’oevres during cocktail hour, so it was fine. 

Post # 15
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

Not at all! My cocktail hour doesn’t start until 6:30 and our dinner/dance starts at 7:30.

Post # 16
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I went to a wedding once where dinner wasn’t served until 10:00pm – It was okay, but pushing it a little since we weren’t staying over and kind of waiting for dinner in order to leave.

The topic ‘Help!!! Is 7:30 too late to serve dinner??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors