Post # 1
I understand no one can tell me what to do with my career, but I could use some advice…
I have an offer from the company I interned at last year, and I absolutely MUST sign with them by Friday. I already asked for a month extension. Last summer was ok, its a great company, but my project was subpar. I have every belief that it will be better this summer if I ask for a project I want. They’re also paying pretttyyy good money.
However, I just got off an interview call with another company, and the job really interested me. They will take 3 weeks to get back to me though, and I’m pretty sure it pays significantly less in a more expensive part of town.
And the company I REALLY want to work for won’t start reading resumes until 2 weeks from now.
So… my plan was to sign with my old company to guarantee I have a job, and if one of these other jobs works out that I like better, turn it down? It’s not like a contract, just a job offer, I think. If I do that I guess I just can’t go back to work at the previous company, ever.
I’d just like to know peoples experiences or knowledge with the reprecussions of that, or if you think I should stick with the old company, or not sign with the old company at all! I still have a year to go until graduation, I just wanted to get more experience on my resume.
Post # 3
I actually did this with an internship that I had once. They were paying pitence, with low hours. I was actually working with them for a month when I quit. I was offered a different interhsip with a different company with a more recognized name and better hours. I quit the next week. I’m actually pretty happy about doing so.
The company I was working for though was a small non-profit, and I hadn’t worked for them previously, so they aren’t on my resume.
I would weigh how big that bridge that you are burning is, but I really would sign and keep looking as I have done so in the past.
Post # 4
- Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX
It is always better to have a job than to not. Sign with the old company and see if something better comes around. The worst mistake would be to not sign with them and have neither of the other offers come through.
Post # 5
Not sure of the industry or the town but i think your answer should be based on both. For me, when i was interviewing and interning, we were told not to do what you want to do, mainly because the legal industry although big is very VERY small. And people know other people at other places and are just a phone call away. Now as an attorney, I get calls from partners at firms asking if so and so has interviewed and if i knew so and so from school and the list goes on. I would just be very careful with things like this because although it is perfectly fine to decline to work there (yes there is a contract, they extended you an offer and you accepted even though you havent started performance), companies can do the same thing when they offer you a job as well (think the company you REALLY want to work for.
Post # 6
For more information, they are all pretty big companies in IT, I wouldn’t think the word would get around all that much.
And the place I really want to work is a different industry (marketing) in a different state.
Post # 7
FI is actually dealing with this right now! He got an awesome offer for his 1L summer internship at a big tech company (he wants to be a patent attorney). A few weeks after he accepted the offer, a big law firm in Boston asked him to come in for an interview, which is almost unheard for the 1L summer. He went to the interview yesterday and it went really well; they said they’d let him know soon if they want him to come back in for another interview. If he were ever offered the job, he thinks he would take it (more $$$, better opportunity for the future), but would feel terrible about rescinding his accepted offer from the tech company.
I think companies understand that these things happen. As long as you let them know in a reasonable time period before your internship was due to start, it’s fine to continue pursuing other opportunities after you’ve accepted an offer. If they choose to get pissy about it, well, it doesn’t really matter anyway – you won’t be working there! I guess your case is a little different than FI’s, though, because you worked there in the past, so you don’t want to burn bridges with a good reference, either.
Post # 8
In my graduate program, the #1 thing we are told not to do is accept an internship or job and then decline it when another one comes along you want more. While it isn’t a contract, it’s your word. And to go against that is poor work etiquette. It not only looks bad on you, but your program and could influence their choices in students in the future. You also are risking them being unhappy with you, not writing you letters of recommendation, etc.
It does suck for people trying to get an internship or job because ours too are limited by how much time you can take to decide (often less than 1 week). A lot of people ended up accepting their 2nd choice and then when they were offered their first, had to turn it down.
If you know you don’t want to work there, I would not accept and pursue the other options. If you think the pros outweigh the cons, bite the bullet and accept, but do not apply elsewhere.
Post # 9
@wouldyoukindlyy: Did you tell the other company that you have an offer that you must respond to by Friday? If they really want you, they may be able to expedite the process.
I would try that avenue first before making any decisions.
As for accepting a job offer only to immediately quit – people do it, but it is frowned upon. Obviously you have to look out for #1, but carefully consider how such a move would affect your professional reputation and future job prospects.