Post # 1
This is my first ‘official’ post here although I have been an avid reader of the hive since stumbling upon it a few months after my engagement back in September.
Congratulations, excitement, and cloud 9 right?? WRONG.
The downer you ask? The fact that I cannot nail down a venue, more specifically THE venue I fell in love with (read: Boone Hall Plantation, BHP) in Charleston, SC.
Now, after the engagement, when I first started looking at venues, I fell in love with the idea of a "Southern Wedding" — being from the South it only seemed fitting. When I stumbled upon BHP, through a recommendation from a sorority sister, I only half expected BHP to already be taken a year out for a Nov 7, 2009 wedding.
So when I found out it was already booked I was not completely disheartened. (I mean I have to be some what realistic, right?) At that point I decided May 2010 would be an acceptable subsitute and inquired about the venue’s availability. Unfortunately for me, ALL Saturdays in May 2010 are also booked at BHP.
Mistake #1 was underestimating the demand of BHP as a venue as it turns out Charleston is a huuuuuge destination wedding town, but now I am left wondering should I rearrange the date (again) in hopes of obtaining the dream venue or stick to the May 2010 date and go with a more-than-acceptable historical runner up?
Did anyone else have this problem?
Post # 3
Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the hive!
Well … I’m the only vote so far so it’s pretty obvious what I picked — I’d stick with your date, and look for another location. I think you’ve had your heart and mind set on this place so you’ve possibly overlooked some other amazing venues. I’m sure you can do everything you planned to do at this location in another place. May 2010 is still pretty far out, you should be able to get another great location, possibly even better! Think of it this way, if all these dates are booked, it must be a pretty "typical" place … maybe you could find something off the beaten path and make your wedding more unique and more "you".
But, of course, it’s your wedding. Talk with your fiance, talk with your family, see what they think.
Post # 4
If you really want this venue, why not just find out what they have available? The weather is nice in Charleston for so much of the year. You can find out the average weather for every day of the year on weather.com. If they’re really yucky dates, then I would look for another venue.
Post # 5
Have you looked at other venues yet? If you have and BHP is still you’re number one choice I say ask what Saturdays are available and change your date.
If you haven’t looked at other venues yet, I would suggest you keep your date and look at other venue options. The first day that we started looking at venues we LOVED one location and they told us that we would be 3rd on the list of people interested in the venue, we put our names down for another date later in 2010 (you were allowed to hold a date for 7 days without a deposit). Then as we started looking at more and more venues and we found one that we loved even more, it costed less that was available for our original date.
Post # 6
Congrats on your engagement! Does they date have significance to you? Have you thought of having a Sunday wedding? Maybe even a holiday Sunday? Or maybe the less popular Friday or Monday wedding? (I’m a Monday bride)
I think that you can find another venue, but I think you’ll always want what you couldn’t have.. "settling".
Keep looking, maybe you’ll find something better! But ALSO keep your options open.. don’t nail yourself down with an exact date!
Post # 7
Maybe you can see what dates they do have available during times when you may want. You know, if you book them during a non-peak wedding time you may even save yourself some $$$. If this place is truly your dream, then don’t give up on your dreams.
Post # 8
Oooh, I know the place you’re talking about. That’s where they filmed North and South. It’s very cool. With that said, I would probably work the wedding around BHP. But you probably just pro/con which is more important, the date or the venue. Could you ahve it in January? Could you have it on a Friday or Sunday? Your guests might have difficulty making odd times or days, but it all goes in to figuring out what’s important. I’m sure I’m not objective, but for BHP, I’d take a week’s vacation to go to your Wednesday afternoon wedding. Maybe it’s just me.
Post # 9
If I were in your situation, and it really were my dream venue, then I would pick a date around when the venue is available. I am definitely the type of person where if I didn’t get my "dream venue," I would think about it for a loooooooooong time. That’s just me, though!
Post # 10
mdc – have you checked out Magnolia Plantation? It’s out past West Ashley, while I LOVE BHP, Magnolia is also beautiful & might be worth checking out too, their gardens are gorgeus, the photo ops there IMO are spectacular.
Post # 11
I’d look for an alternate venue, but that’s my personal opinion. My advice is to think really hard about how much you want to be married, and how soon. I’ve had a long engagement and my wedding isn’t until October, and I HATE being engaged at this point. I just want to be married. FI and I have even talked occasionally about going to City Hall and getting married now, because we’re tired of waiting. For us, the timing had nothing to do with venue availability, and I know that if we’d pushed out date out any further because of that, I’d be hella resentful right now. But, like I said, this is my own situation and you might feel differently — but since you asked, I just thought I’d put it out there.
Post # 12
What about trying your dream venue on a Friday night, Sunday, or Monday of a holiday weekend? The bonueses of the off days are they are more likely to be available and usually are cheaper.
Post # 13
@Tanya123 (LOVE your name btw…my BFF is a Tanya)…that’s why I made my friend take me to BHP coz that’s where North & South was filmed…I lived in Ireland when that was first on TV & thought someday when I go to America I will go there…one of the happiest moments of my life…that & the day I drove up the driveway at South Fork LOL!!!
Post # 14
Could you ask BHP to call you in case there is a cancelation? People break off engagements or cancel events all of the time. Would you consider a non-Saturday wedding?
If you really, really love it, then I think it’s worth waiting a month or two to see if something becomes available.
Post # 15
If you aren’t COMPLETELY against it, I would do a Sunday wedding. Not only will your venue most likely be open, but it will probably be cheaper too!!! 🙂
Post # 16
I didn’t read all the responses, so I apologize if someone’s already said this.
Is the date or the venue more important to you?
If it is the date- choose a different location. If it’s the location, choose a different date.
Good luck 🙂