HELP: Tacori 2620 center stone color

posted 3 years ago in Rings
  • poll: What is the lowest color for the center stone to match a Tacori 2620 setting?
    G : (14 votes)
    33 %
    H : (13 votes)
    30 %
    I : (11 votes)
    26 %
    J : (5 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 3
    351 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I wouldn’t go any lower than a G because lower graded diamonds will start to have a yellow color. Stones with better color, clarity, cut will actually appear larger than poorer graded stones. I personally would prefer a slightly smaller stone that sparkles more over a duller larger stone. However, it is all personal preference. 

Post # 4
    70 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@planner007:  I believe my Tacori stone is a VS J round performance cut 1.01ct stone. My finace worked with a reputable local jeweler.  (I have Style # HT2515RD5512X)

I get consistent compliments on how sparkly it is and it is surrounded by 48 smaller stones, 12 of which are significantly sized and it matches just fine. I can check the paperwork again when I get home to make sure that’s what it is.

Post # 6
    70 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@planner007:  Sorry for the delay, I just pulled out my paperwork – E.G.L.I. rated. It’s a 1.01 carat round brilliant, Color: J, Clarity, VS2 (which is actually very slight inclusions).

I love it and it looks amazing. Good luck on your search for the perfect ring, I’m sure whatever you decide will be beautiful!

Post # 7
    46 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: August 2011

I think if you get a very well cut (well proportioned, as in Ideal Cut) you could easily go down to I unless you are very color sensitive. Try to stick with GIA or AGS graded stones as other labs can be somewhat lenient on their color grading (so the report may say I but if it were graded by GIA/AGS then it might come back a J/K or lower. It is not a universal standard and labs can pretty much put whatever they want on a piece of paper. GIA and AGS are the strictest and most reliable on color (and clarity as well), as GIA wrote the standards. If you are thinking of upgrading later, I think the best suggestion is to check with an online vendor who sells impeccable stones with a fabulous upgrade policy (full credit towards a new one with no “spend double” nonsense). Check Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds and Good Old Gold. Good luck. 

Post # 8
    135 posts
    Blushing bee

@bunnycat:  You beat me to this, lol.

To the OP: I noticed you haven’t mentioned cut.  This is the ‘C’ that has the most impact on a diamond’s fire and scintillation (sparkles!).  An ideal cut warmer stone will have better light performance than a whiter stone with a mediocre cut.

Post # 10
    3199 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@planner007:  i have a tacori HT251012X and my center stone is an E. i definitely wouldn’t go below a G for the center stone.

Post # 11
    3570 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I think you could get an I and it would look great.

Post # 12
    226 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

Hi there, I have a Tacori ring and I believe the center stone is an I (or maybe an H?)  From what I have seen, you don’t want to go too far below that.  I have seen a J and thought it looked yellow.  My I looks completely colorless to me though!

Post # 13
    708 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2004

It’s hard to say. A lot of women prefer better color grades (D-G), and some, such as myself, prefer a warmer diamond. I have an H, but if they had had a larger stone in a J color, I sooo would have gotten it. I think that warmer diamonds have much more personality and life to them. If I were you I would try to find out if your soon-to-be fiancee prefers one over the other. No matter what color center stone you go with, it will still looks lightly warmer than the side stones. Smaller stones always appear much whiter than larger ones because the facets are so much smaller on them, it’s hard to really notice their color.

I also agree with the previous posters who mentioned that the cut is the most important thing to consider.

Post # 14
    3365 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 1997

You have to see the diamond before deciding, IMO. Some people prefer a slight contrast between halo and center stone, while others don’t. Also keep in mind that even lower coloured melee will sometimes sparkle so much due to their size and the number of facets reflecting at one time that they will look whiter than the center stone in some lighting, even when the center stone is ranked the same in colour.

GIA XXX or AGS 000 stones will appear whiter due to their excellent cuts, but again, I really think it is something you have to compare in person before deciding. Photos are notoriously unreliable when determining colour, and the stone that looks perfectly white in one situation might look quite yellow in another.

Post # 16
    135 posts
    Blushing bee

@planner007:  It’s fun to help! 🙂

Is the proposal going to be a complete surprise?   If not, you could take her with you to see how sensitive she is in regards to diamond color.  Everybody is different, and she may or may not like the look of a warmer stone or notice much of a difference between a number of grades.

If you plan on keeping her in the dark until you pop the question, I suggest that you pick a diamond that is at least a G in color.  Tacori uses that color grade in their settings, and that will help prevent the feature stone from looking darker that the melee.  You’d probably be safe with a AGS 000 cut H (or some GIA Ex/Ex/Ex if you know facet/table/crown percentages and ideal ratios, HCA, etc.) due to the stone’s max light return, but again it falls back to that pesky color sensitivity issue.

All in all, the deciding factor is your budget.  It can get easy to become carried away, so stay firm with what you can afford and adjust the stone specifications accordingly.  

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors