Post # 1
Spring boarding off my last board, here is my complaint letter that I will be handing to the owner when we go to setup. I will also be mailing him a certified letter.
Please let me know if I should add/or change anything.I’m not the best with writing.
The purpose of this letter is to document the events that have led up to today, March 30th 2012. This letter serves as a formal notice of complaint, and as a record.
The past few months of working with XXXXX’s and yourself (for our wedding) have been stellar. When L and I originally booked the venue, we had known that March is typically a rainy month and were expecting to have both our ceremony and reception inside, and you also agreed. The rooms show to us included the large banquet room (west room), and the smaller banquet room (east room). At your suggestion, we planned to use the smaller banquet room for our ceremony and larger banquet room for the reception. We had also agreed that if weather permit we would use the outdoor gazebo for our ceremony.
However, on March 29th 2012 L met with you and you informed L that the smaller banquet room (east room) was not available and it was to be used by another party. As a result, the smaller banquet room (east room) could not accommodate our 5:30PM – 6:00PM ceremony. You offered an alternative to L to have the both ceremony and reception in the large banquet room. This alternative is not acceptable, and was not originally agreed upon. For several months up until the 29th of March, we were shown the smaller banquet room (east room) on several tours with you and told that our ceremony would be held there if it rained. We booked our wedding at XXXX’s on August 6th, 2011, and were never notified verbally or in writing of any changes up until the verbal conversation on the 29th.
If it rains on March 31st, 2012 and we are unable to hold the ceremony outside or in the smaller banquet room we will be formally requesting that our entire site fee is refunded in the amount of $1,250.00.
Post # 3
Cite contract language in which there is a breach. Conversations do not carry legal weight.
Post # 4
So did you have it in writing from your venue that you could use the smaller banquet room in the event of rain?
ETA: I just looked at your previous post and it looks like you didn’t have it in writing that you could use both rooms. Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like you can legally get any money from them. Bad business? Yes. But, in your letter, I’d emphasize more that you are disappointed in them not letting you know sooner so you could plan more accordingly with the change and how stressful the change will be considering they misled you up until now. To me, as-is, the letter sounds like they committed breach of contract, when they really didn’t. They inconvenienced you, but they’re probably not too concerned about it because they’re making more money by renting out both rooms instead of just letting you use both for one rental fee. I think this is a good reminder to all the brides-to-be out there to get EVERYTHING in writing. I’m sorry though, that does really suck and you should file a BBB complaint either way.
I hope everything goes well on your big day regardless! Don’t let this ruin it, because it’s your wedding day!! 🙂 🙂
Post # 5
Legally speaking – I went to look at our contract and it doesn’t specifically say what rooms we have it says “Ceremony Garden Gazebo” and “Reception Room,” it does explicitly say “We do not guarantee a particular room.” So I am thinking legally I’m screwed because it doesn’t explicitly say we get to use two rooms incase of bad weather.
Honestly, I am not expecting to get a penny back. But I will file with the BBB regardless.
Post # 6
“We do not guarantee a particular room.”
If it says this in the contract specificially, then unfortunately you do not have much legal recourse. It is unfortunate, but you most definitely should have had them agree to this plan via contract. However, they should be willing to accommodate you. Have you asked them if this situation has happened before? Surely you can’t be the only bride who has had a situation like this. What is their rain plan for everyone else?