Post # 1
Last night was awful. I came home, very tired… to find out my dog ate a good amount of dark chocolate. Don’t worry, she’s ok!
I had a small box of food to take with me to work that I left in the kitchen, stacked on another box. In the box was an assortment of office snacks & 2 dark chocolate w/ espresso bean candy bars (honestly, I forgot I even had those)!
I mixed hydrogen peroxide w/ water in a soda bottle & somehow got it down Hayley’s throat. I used a Coca Cola bottle & I’m sure the neighbors thought I looked crazy forcing my dog to drink “soda” but it worked & I don’t really care what they thought so long as Hayley was ok.
Please, if you have a dog, make sure you have an emergency chocolate kit!
3% Hydrogen Peroxide & a turkey baster & keep activated charcoal on hand.
If your dog eats bakers or dark chocolate you need to give him the hydrogen peroxide & water mixture (mix 1:1), give them 1tbsp of the mixture per 10 pounds (using the turkey baster because they will not willingly drink this) & then wait for them to vomit, then give them the activated charcoal. Of course, consult your vet.
Post # 3
Weenie ate 2 of my milk duds the other day that I didn’t realize the cats had knocked on to the floor but luckily he didn’t get sick. I was really worried. I’m bookmarking this in case he ever gets into more serious chocolate trouble.
Post # 4
Oh wow! I’m so glad your furbaby was okay! 🙂 Good advice!
As a side note.. my old chemistry teacher said her dog drank antifreeze and the vet had her force feed the dog vodka.. It neutralizes the effects of the antifreeze. Weird, right?
Post # 5
@canthugallcats: Oh wow, what is activated charcoal? Is it charcoal for the grill? And what is that supposed to do in this situation? Just want to make sure I’m prepared!
I came home once and my dog was two second away from chewing all the way into my pill bottle. Not sure how he got that but now they are stored (no matter what) in drawers of some kind. I also came home once and he had destroyed the pocket of my bookbag… I was pissed. A few hours later I noticed that he destroyed the pocket because I had a granola bar with TONS of chocolate on it… yes he swallowed everything. But I never did anything about it because it had been hours and nothing happened. That’s when I decided to be more carfeul 🙁
Post # 6
Glad she’s okay! Ours gets tiny amounts of chocolate on occasion, (the other night he ate two chocolate chips, and he’s an 80 pound dog), but it can be scary when they get into stuff they shouldn’t have!
@kperry3: Activated charcoal is NOT the same as charcoal for the grill. It is highly processed/refined charcoal that is very porous which makes it ideal for absorbtion. It is often used to absorb chemicals/products that could otherwise harm the body BEFORE the body has a chance to absorb them. I think you can get it at most pharmacies, (possibly by the syrup of ipecac? hehe…which also worked well for inducing vomitting in pets…the hydrogen peroxide didn’t work for our cat).
Post # 7
I am always worried my yorkie baby will get into chocolate. This is great to know.
Post # 8
It all depends on the weight of the dog & the darkness of the chocolate. There’s something in chocolate, in milk chocolate its on low levels, in dark chocolate its in high levels.
If your dog eats an M&M or Milk Duds or a mini dark chocolate bar, they should be fine. Unless your dog is like a teacup breed (even a tiny bit could affect them).
With poison, you really need to call your vet. With some things the dog needs to throw it up, with other things if your dog throws it up, it can do more harm than good. If your dog eats chocolate & you find out within a few hours, than you should induce vomiting.
Activated charcoal is available at your vet, I have charcoal biscuits I got from my pet feed store. From what I’ve researched, activated charcoal is just small bits of charcoal NOT the BBQ ones (they have other stuff in them)!
I am NOT a vet! I just have been thru this a few times. Hayley always seems to find chocolate. Once she got into a tin of hot cocoa powder but the vet told me it wasn’t enough to rush her in, just keep an eye on her.
I found this website very helpful:http://www.finedarkchocolate.com/Chocolate_Food/Dogs_Chocolate.asp
Post # 9
I’m glad to hear that shes okay!
Post # 10
About 15 years ago, my mom’s dog got into, and ate, an entire bag of chocolate covered pretzels. I claim my sisters ate them though, but they swear up and down they didnt, so it only leaves the dog. But the dog never got sick or anything so, i’m still suspicious of them.
Post # 11
Glad she’s ok! We have a friend who’s dog was named Hershey… and she passed after eating a Hershey bar 🙁
Post # 12
I know people who let their dogs eat chocolate and they never get sick. I was never even aware that chocolate makes dogs sick.. why is that?
Post # 13
I’m glad she is okay!! Our dog has eaten his fair share of chocolate in his day. But it really does depend on the size of the dog.
And keep in mind that there are things that are way worse for dogs than chocolate. Onions, grapes, raisins – I would be way more concerned if my dog ate any of those.
Post # 14
Really, grapes are bad? I never heard of that before.
Post # 15
Post # 16
I had no idea. Thanks for the link!