Post # 1
I’m nine weeks now and I had my follow up from all blood work and what not which came back great. Problem is I have epilepsy and after speaking with my neurologist about the risks of anti convulsants and pregnancy I opted out of taking meds.
my OB chewed me out over it but my my neurdo didn’t tell me any of what the OB did. So I’m being sent to a hospital two hours away for a “high risk assessment” and was wondering if anyone’s done this and what happens during the appointment and what’s the possible outcome? We didn’t know I had epilepsy during my first pregnancy so none of this was an issue.
i doubt I’ll find anyone with epilepsy who was pregnant and had this assessment but I was just wondering in general what to expect from the appointment and if I should bring anything
Post # 3
@Mrslovebug: I went with my sister to her high risk assessment. They did blood work and she could have had an amneocentisis (she opted out). Then she met with the social worker assigned to the high risk OB. She asked my sis a million questions about family history on both sides. Then the OB met with us and talked about the various risks to both sis & the baby. She carefully answered all our questions and followed up later regarding a medication sis had been given during surgery a month before she got pregnant, because the OB wasn’t sure if it was the type of thing that stayed in your system or not.
Write down any and all concerns so you don’t forget to ask. It’s really just to empower you and help you make choices that will keep you and baby healthy.
Post # 4
I think it’s different for everyone. After my first OB appt at about 7.5weeks I was refered to Maternal Fetal Medicine and met with her at about 9.5 weeks. She had called my liver Dr’s and requested my records prior to the appointment and was familiar with my issues, and what risks were to come to me during pregnancy. She gave me a rundown of the complications I could face, and informed me she already planned to get baby out by 39 weeks, depending on my liver problems it could be closer to 37.
She also went over positive things with me, the fact that I didn’t have cirrhosis of the liver. And how that really made my pregnancy a lot safer.
She let me ask any questions I had. She ultimately left the decision up to me to continue care with MFM or stick with a regular OB who could consult as needed. I am certainly glad I chose to stay in their care, as I am actually being induced at 34 weeks to protect myself and baby.
Some of the women in my Dec Mama’s group have met with high risk DR’s who were less informative and felt like it was a useless appointment. Hopefully your Dr will have good information and prepare ahead of time for you!.