(Closed) Hindsight for DIY projects is 20/20. Help others see the future!

posted 6 years ago in DIY
Post # 4
5154 posts
Bee Keeper

DIY invites have been a pain in the ass for me. I wanted really fancy invites and didn’t want to pay what they cost.. so I decided to make them myself! I am still not finished (not even close)..I still have to do the letterpress on my L letterpress..(which I have never used before) and I am not motivated at all. 

Post # 5
86 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I found that alot of the DIY things I wanted to do I could find cheaper on Etsy.

DIY sounds cheap…but make sure you really tally up all those little parts to complete your project. You may find that having someone else do it is cheaper and more cost effective.

And in the end..time is money. Sometimes its worth buying it then doing it yourself when your DIY projects pile up and you run out of time.

Post # 6
335 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

echoing to fully consider the cost of invites before DIYing.  Mine still ended up being close to $1000 for 200 invites.  And it took several hours of sisterly and motherly love to complete. 

Post # 7
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I will vote on pricing a 3rd time!  DIY to me is not a money saver, in some aspects it can be but for me it is a way to personalize and customize my wedding the way I want it.  Our STDs ended up being $300.  Could I totally of sent out the postcards from Vistaprint costing $22 as is?  Yes.  Would they be toted as “the cutest/most original/creative save the dates” that our guests have ever seen?  No.

Another thing I learned, and explained to my FI who thinks I am crazy for doing this, is to make a mock-up of one item before making a hundred!  My friend printed/cut-out/hole punched all her program materials before she realized that it would not work.  Fast forward to us at 11pm the day before the wedding putting together programs.  Always always do an example first to work out the kinks before you start an assembly line!

Post # 8
3375 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I did a TON of DIY (not to save money, but because I’m crafty), but now there’s no one to help set up!!! It’s beyond what my caterer can do, so now I have to hire ANOTHER person. ughhhhhh

Post # 9
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Assign other people easier DIY projects plenty of time in advance to save yourself some time and frustration. It’s OK if they didn’t end up doing it exactly as you would…it got done and looks beautiful no matter what!

Post # 10
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I semi-DIYed mine with a kit from Target, and it was lower-cost and didn’t take that much time, so that was definitely good. I would say don’t be afraid of kits, because it’s doubtful your guests frequently shop for wedding invites, so it’s not like they’ll recognize them :). 

I do wish I hadn’t tried so hard to make glittered signs like the ones I used in my e-pics. It’s sooo hard to get glitter to go on evenly, and it just wasn’t worth it. I also wish I hadn’t spent an entire afternoon making swizzle sticks, because about two people picked them up. Then again, they are really fun for parties now that we’re married!

Post # 11
2580 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@jo.lee: I’ll second this about the kits. We did the print-your-own Brides invitations kits from Michaels and have gotten so many compliments on how beautiful they are. I was surprised…I like them, too, but I assumed that people would realize they were cheap. Like you said, most other people aren’t constantly shopping for wedding stuff, so no one will know the difference!

I started out with many DIY projects and ended up with very few. Ultimately I decided it was going to be more expensive than just buying something premade. Every time I go to a wedding, I tried to zero in on the cute DIY items and ask myself, “Have these enhanced my experience? Would I even have noticed these things existed if I weren’t planning a wedding?” I realized the answer was usually no, so I decided to save my sanity and skip most of my planned DIYs.

Post # 12
112 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I agree with making the prototype/mock up before committing time and money to making everything at once.  This saved me loads of time and money on the centerpieces.  Also, I ended up changing some of my colors and the old first mock up of my invitations won’t work now.  I am so glad I didn’t just order a bunch of supplies.

Post # 13
112 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I also think it helps to take pictures of the prototypes.  Sometimes things look different in photos and most of your wedding will be in pictures. 

Post # 15
1240 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

We’re doing DYI. And building our own invites. And doing letterpress. BUT FI was in art school. And has access to the letterpress building, and screen printing lab. But, I do know that it is a lot of time and worry.

The topic ‘Hindsight for DIY projects is 20/20. Help others see the future!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors