- 3 years ago
- Wedding: May 2015
My fiance went to Haiti on a mission trip, and told me he wanted to have big dinner when he got back. So the Monday after he got back he asked me get out of work the same time as him so we could spend time together before our dinner show.
He texted me at lunch and told me he left his license at home that he didn’t want to risk getting carded, (side note he’s 28 and rarely ever gets carded) but I figured no big deal. As soon as we had walked into the apartment he jumped on his computer, I didn’t think anything of it and changed out of my work clothes.
I asked if he was ready to go, and he said no that he had something to show me. I sat next to him and he started playing a slide show of all the place we’ve been in the 3 years we’ve been dating. Then it said “Now let the story begin…” and it started with a video of my aunt, uncle, and two cousins reading lines from Dr. Suess’ “Oh the Places You’ll Go” continuing through with the entire story being read by our family and friends! The last few pages were read by our parents and the last lines by him in our living room.
Then the video said “Now I just have one question to ask you” and he turned to and asked “Will you marry me?” I was so excited I didn’t even think twice or think about giving him a funny responce and just said yes and started kissing him. Which he had perfectly timed congratulation messages so as we kissed it was like we had an audiance right in our living room!
I then laughed and took the ring box that he had bought while in Haiti and finally looked at the ring a I slipped it onto my finger.
He had suprised my even more by having flown my parents into two days earlier to be there and along with his mom we all enjoyed a wonderful family style dinner show.
The proposal and the ring are exactly what I wanted, a private moment alone that incorporated our friends and family since we live so far away and a blue topaz center stone, as it’s the “birthdstone” of our relationship. Cheesy I know.
Some quick funny side stories;
- We got interrupted by the UPS guy delivering my backordered rain boots.
- My Mom hadn’t talked to me for two days becasue she was afraid she’d spoil the surprise that they were there!
- We didn’t actually tell anyone we were engaged until we saw our parents before dinner about 4 hours after he actually proposed!
- Several of my girlfriends said my ring looks like a “Cinderella ring.” Which I guess is only funny because of where I work 🙂
- I had just chopped off all my hair the day before in an “I want to see how my hair looks short” moment so it’s been fun seeing people and showing off my new hair and then my ring.
I’m so happy and excited to be marring this man and looking forward to all of the wedding planning for our “destination for everyone else” wedding!